Talk me Down !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I need some serious opinions here. I've been somewhat involved in this forum for the past year or so and I really enjoy it. I was completely intent on purchasing a new LR4, but then LR did the unthinkable and moved into the soccer mom market. I understand that the 2014 is cool, but without the V8, towing my camper around would be a nightmare. I've looked at a few other vehicles that would be better at towing, but always came back to my 2011 LR4. I like having a new car and modifying it to have all the luxuries or the newest model along with the capabilities that only mods will provide. I also have to admit that the looks help a lot as well.

Additionally, my local dealership is completely useless. I could detail my disappointments, but their attitude and pure laziness is one of the reasons I'm not driving a new 2013. So after disgust with Land Rover and continued disappointment at my local dealership, I'm planning to make a change. I wouldn't ever badmouth my experience with the LR4, I love it and will always admire what once was.

At this time, I'm considering trading in my LR4 for a 2014 Land Cruiser. I've looked it over and I really like what I see. My only real issue is easily corrected. I think that the Land Cruiser, like the JK, looks like crap out of the showroom, but with 2" and larger rubber, it's absolutely awesome.

So here's where you guys come in. Am I nuts? Is the LC200 crap? Am I alone in my thinking or just not patient enough. I keep hoping that they'll announce a diesel or a V8 option, but tired of worrying about it. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 41

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new land cruiser is pretty nice, but it doesn't seem as special as an LR4. If I were going to build an overlanding rig I might be more swayed towards the yota, but for everyday living the LR4 is just more comfortable and the engine/gearbox in the LR seems much more refined. Less agricultural.

I'd keep the MY11.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the common toyota dealer is with those. They don't have those off the lot around here, but we have some good toyota dealers. My wifes lexus is getting a couple $k work right now on her RX. That would be a huge plus if the common toyota dealer could do all the work on those. Iowa is especially painful. My LR dealer is like 4 hour drive away.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for what it's worth, i was at my dealership yesterday and when talking with my sales guy he indicated it will likely be 2016 before we see the 5th gen LR/Discovery.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for what it's worth, i was at my dealership yesterday and when talking with my sales guy he indicated it will likely be 2016 before we see the 5th gen LR/Discovery.

I'd take a MY11 over MY14. As I have said in other threads, I don't buy cars for the pretty headlights and wheel designs, I buy them for the drivetrain. The V6 is probably very good, but its not a V8. I really want to bring my boat to a dealership and tow it with a MY14. That is the only way i'd be able to tell if it would be acceptable for the job.

jrgreen5859

Reaction score
Just driving the Lexus or Toyota will make you jump for a european SUV, there is just something missing vs the LR or BMW.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked hard at the LC in '12 before buying the LR4. Outside of the handling/feel of the LR4 mentioned, the headroom and general airiness of the LR4 put it over the edge for me. It feels far roomier and for me that was key. Also the design appeal of the front end is terrible.

With air lockers being available now, just buy a '13 and be done with it. my two cents.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first jump back into a Land Rover was a 2011 LR4, which I have sinced traded in for a 2013 LR4. Back in 2011, and again earlier this year, I looked at the Toyota Land Cruiser because they are rock solid, capable vehicles with amazing reliability. I drove a 2011 and 2013 Land Cruiser and I will tell you they are great, but nothing like the LR4. It certainly has power, but the steering is very wishy-washy (loose) and does not feel like a 60-70K vehicle. I do think the seats are more comfortable than the LR4 (all around), but much less quality in terms of the leather and finish. Overall, the interior of the Land Cruiser is nice, but very plastic feeling and a bit cheap.

I used the Land Cruiser for the day, played around with all the features, and I thought the terrain response system was much more complicated than the LR4 - I actually did not like the set up or how things are done. I am sure it's great off road, but you would need new tires, a lift, and get rid of the side steps (they are very close to the ground).

All in all, I sometimes wonder if I should have bought the Land Cruiser since I really liked it, but somehow my gut leaned toward the LR4 (I knew I would regret it) all around. Hopefully in a few years I won't regret my decision. ;-) I will say, and not sure if this helps or not, if I sold my LR4 sooner than I anticipate, then I would likely get a Land Cruiser. I'd love a G500, but I am not spending $100K on a car.

As for your situation, I completely understand your frustration. Since I leased my 2011 (I had a 2000 Discovery which was complete crap, so I wanted to lease first), I was planning on a 2014/2015 LR4, but with the engine change and such, I went for a 2013 and I am thrilled - definitely a good choice. I specifically wanted the 5.0 V8, classic look, and capability.

Keep us posted - I wish you the best of luck!

Regards, David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take a MY11 over MY14. As I have said in other threads, I don't buy cars for the pretty headlights and wheel designs, I buy them for the drivetrain. The V6 is probably very good, but its not a V8. I really want to bring my boat to a dealership and tow it with a MY14. That is the only way i'd be able to tell if it would be acceptable for the job.
I would love to hear your review if you do this - definitely interested in knowing if the SCV6 can compete with the V8 as far as towing.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For many reasons mentioned, I got rid of my LR and now own an LX570.
Loving it!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72