Talk me Down !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For many reasons mentioned, I got rid of my LR and now own an LX570.
Loving it!!!
I actually really like the LX570 - it's the Land Cruiser, but with a lot of nice appointments and sharper looks. Glad you like it, but do you miss the LR4 at all? :)

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, LR4 was special. Definitely unique in the looks department, tighter handling(with 20" wheels it felt very german).
The LX is more under-the-radar in the appearance department, slightly slower and the steering is a bit more loose. Love the ML reference sound system, great sales/service experience and the luxury feel.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion Land Rovers feel far more special and unique compared to Toyota/Lexus SUVs. I have owned two Lexus SUVs(and driven many Land Cruisers) and I liked them alright, but I would buy a LR4 or a Range Rover over them any day. The Land Cruiser feels very "cheap" and bland to me for an $80k vehicle, especially the interior. I think the the LR4 is far more refined than a Land Cruiser. I am disappointed in Land Rovers V6 engine choice, so I am going to hold on to my LR4 for a while. I might get a RR SC V8 next time around, I love the LR/Jag 5.0 V8.

mattwallace24

Reaction score
Additionally, my local dealership is completely useless. I could detail my disappointments, but their attitude and pure laziness is one of the reasons I'm not driving a new 2013. So after disgust with Land Rover and continued disappointment at my local dealership, I'm planning to make a change. I wouldn't ever badmouth my experience with the LR4, I love it and will always admire what once was.

So here's where you guys come in. Am I nuts? Is the LC200 crap? Am I alone in my thinking or just not patient enough. I keep hoping that they'll announce a diesel or a V8 option, but tired of worrying about it. Thoughts?

Sounds like we share the same local dealership or at least the same experiences. I finally decided upon a MY13 and went to my local dealer to buy one. I didn't want just any MY13, I wanted one with black exterior, ebony interior, and black design package. Not an easy find I suspected, but my local dealership told me no chance to find one without even looking. I went home dejected wondering what to do since my current lease was ending. In desperation I sent out email inquiries to every dealer within 200 miles of me.

Within minutes, one of the dealerships' sales manager responded that they didn't have that particular model on their lot, but could have it there the next day if I was interested. I was very interested as it was an exact match, but since the dealership was about 100 miles away, I told the sales manager I needed several days to arrange a ride down to their dealership to see the vehicle and purchase it.

In contrast to my local dealership, the new dealership EARNED my business. They had a driver pick me up at my home the next morning and drove me to the dealership - almost a 200 mile round trip drive for their driver. They were ready for me at the dealership and I closed the transaction within 15 minutes with no surprises.

The point of my post is not to get turned off by a bad local dealership. There are many other dealerships out there that will work for your business. I was very close to giving up on Land Rover after my experiences with my local LR dealership, but so glad I reached out to a different one. I LOVE MY NEW LR4.

chinochulo

Reaction score
IMHO, the new toyota SUVs look like A$$, blubbery like a whale, on par with the Infinity QX80....I mean sure, I admire Japanese reliability and all, but if I am not happy with the looks, then why spend the dough? The FJ80s (Toyota and Lexus) were much better looking...

Also, what's with the trend toward small windows and greenhouse? Now it would appear only the G-class Mercedes and LR4 can claim large windows. My kids love them and that's probably why the next vehicle will be a G....

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, the new toyota SUVs look like A$$, blubbery like a whale, on par with the Infinity QX80....I mean sure, I admire Japanese reliability and all, but if I am not happy with the looks, then why spend the dough? The FJ80s (Toyota and Lexus) were much better looking...

Also, what's with the trend toward small windows and greenhouse? Now it would appear only the G-class Mercedes and LR4 can claim large windows. My kids love them and that's probably why the next vehicle will be a G....
I agree with you. This was one of my complaints when I test drove the Land Cruiser, the visibility seemed so much less than the LR4. I LOVE the big windows on the LR4 and G wagon. Plus, the design of the LR4 being a "box" is very useful when parking and off road, I had a hard time feeling out the lines on the Land Cruiser - very easy to misjudge its size!

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The point of my post is not to get turned off by a bad local dealership. There are many other dealerships out there that will work for your business. I was very close to giving up on Land Rover after my experiences with my local LR dealership, but so glad I reached out to a different one. I LOVE MY NEW LR4.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

OP - Have you considered a MY13? While the window is closing, I'm certain you could find one close to your specs. Good luck!

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR4 probably wins in the "looks" department (not the case with the new RR), but she was indeed a high-maintenance, finicky lady who always demanded attention and made it clear she'd be too much to handle after the warranty was up. Sounds like a cliche, but being the best-looking is rather overrated:wink:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the G wagon exterior, but even the high end ones have pretty weak interiors and they are not as comfy as an LR4. Love those things, great off road, very expensive, but still not overall and comfortable or nice to live with as an LR4.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, thanks so much. You've made some really great points. I agree with everything said. Unfortunately, I'm still on the fence. I'm probably going to give it until Xmas to make a final decision. Maybe not. Really on the fence here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72