temp gage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

azbird

Hello,
I'm having an issue with the temp gage on my 97 Disco.
After about 30 min of driving with my lights and AC on, the temp gage starts to climb.
Sounds like overheating… but it’s not… and here’s why… When I turn OFF my lights and turn OFF the AC, the temp gage goes back to normal. I can actually watch the gage instantly go up and down while I turn on and off my lights, blinkers and the AC… Just got it back from a shop that said it was the “chassis ground” ($175.00). they repaired the corroded ground wire but it still does the same thing… I honestly don’t think its overheating as the gage goes up and down so fast … any thoughts or suggestions on the fix would be appreciated.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's another bad ground somewhere. Another common problem with D1's (besides your temp gauge) is the old "tach and speedo dance" that is caused by a bad ground.

Start with the ground strap to the rear of the battery. Clean that one. Also clean any other grounds you can find. You can idenitfy them (although not necessarily locate them) using the electrical troubleshooting manual which is available online somewhere. If you can't find it email me and I'll try to track it down for you.

Someone else might have advice regarding other ground wire locations.

A

azbird

THANKS! I knew someone would know...

I found this on line and I will check these ground locations:
1. Right inner fender, behind the battery. Battery and EMC on 1994 & 1995 models.
2. Below the battery, inside the right frame rail. Battery ground.
3. Right of the left cylinder head. ECU, AC compressor clutch on 1994 & 1995 models.
4. Right frame rail, inside wheel well. Starter.
5. Left footwell, behind trim panel. ECM, key switch, radio, OBDII data link.
6. Right footwell, behind trim panel. Starter solenoid relay, park-neutral position switch, alarm, data link connector.
7. Left side of luggage compartment, behind access panel for taillights, above light assembly. Fuel pump, fuel level sensor.

A

azbird

I'm grounded

My thanks to Moose for the info... I checked and cleaned all the grounds… The issue was this… I had replaced the battery cables and forgot to ground the battery to the body as well as to the frame… I added a ground from the battery to the body and that did the trick... gages are all working properly… thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72