Terrrain Response - Amazing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U

UnbrknCh8n

toddjb123 said:
... So, what setting is best for driving at highway speeds in poor conditions? Should you leave DSC on? (I would think so, but figured I'd ask).

I was just driving on the highway yesterday in icy and snowpacked conditions. I'm not an expert, but personally I would definitely leave DSC on. Also, the snow setting worked well. When passing other cars (at up to 55 mph) it was much slower to downshift, thus decreasing the chances of spinning my tires an losing traction. Of course, most of the time I was driving slowly-- slow enough to see a Grand Cherokee, a Lexus and a Trooper in the ditches on either side of the road.

It felt really good to feel safe (especially since I rolled and totalled my last SUV in an ice storm less than a year ago). Of course, the vehicle's only as safe as the driver!

God, I love this truck!

T

toddjb123

xcursion said:
On a snowy highway and at speed, I would use the snow mode and leave the DSC on. DSC, along with TR, controls your wheels from slipping and keep you car straight, but you know that already.

UnbrknCh8n said:
I was just driving on the highway yesterday in icy and snowpacked conditions. I'm not an expert, but personally I would definitely leave DSC on. Also, the snow setting worked well. When passing other cars (at up to 55 mph) it was much slower to downshift, thus decreasing the chances of spinning my tires an losing traction...

Thanks! Good to hear from owners who have actually tried it. I have a snowy morning and may get to try it out now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LR3_WA

I'm not a dumb #$@ when it comes to snow on hills. Though it was pretty embarrassing to have other cars/trucks stop on the hill and not my fancy LR3 with all it's traction settings.

So I went down the same hill with the same snow at the same speed with the TR in NORM and it stopped fine half way down the hill !

X

xcursion

Well, what do you know......I am guessing in snow mode the TR is less likely to slow the wheels quickly to avoid losing control, thereby causing the longer braking?

T

toddjb123

Well...I think the point is what should we use on snowy roads?

Maybe the snow setting is better for snow offroading, but when you're dealing with other traffic, NORM is the correct setting. Thoughts?

S

sgllr3

toddjb123 said:
Well...I think the point is what should we use on snowy roads?

Snow? What's that?
Too much 70 degree weather in So Cal.

X

xcursion

Well, by design, the snow mode is for slippery surfaces. So this SHOULD be the correct setting when driving on snow. But I am really surprised that the car stop under normal mode while unable to under snow mode.....

T

toddjb123

Got out in a snowy parking lot this afternoon and tried quick starts, short stops and fast tight turns. Truck performed great. It is virtually impossible to get this thing to fish tail. Slamming on the brakes in snow gave the same response as other ABS SUVs. Stopping was straight and in the expected distance given the snow cover.

I also tried all those things in both NORM and SNOW mode. No noticeable difference.

FWIW - Reminder for everyone to check your air pressure! Cold weather is going to drop your cold tire pressure and soft tires don't help your snowy road traction. (off road may be another story...but on the road you want the pressure the LR3 is anticipating)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4