The annual 19 inch tire question! Whattya got? Whattya like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2yellowlabs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Pirelli Scorpion ATR (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain) tires!

Haven't had them long but so far they have performed great on wet and dry roads.

I chose them for their more aggressive than HP tire tread pattern and by the reviews on here and other sites. They weren't cheap though at almost $300 a tire installed. I will say they are a little noisier than the worn out Goodyear HP's it came with but not bad.

Will report back once the **** wear off the sidewalls!

2yellowlabs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Another vote for the Pirelli Scorpion ATR (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain) tires!

Haven't had them long but so far they have performed great on wet and dry roads.

I chose them for their more aggressive than HP tire tread pattern and by the reviews on here and other sites. They weren't cheap though at almost $300 a tire installed. I will say they are a little noisier than the worn out Goodyear HP's it came with but not bad.

Will report back once the **** wear off the sidewalls!

angelboing

Reaction score
on my 2006 LR3 HSE: after wearing through my stock good years (after 50K miles and 4 years), i replaced them with pirelli scorpion zeros last year. then just last week, i went to my local tire shop and they were quite surprised to see how much wear the pirellis were showing after only 25K miles and nineteen months of use. they told me that the scorpion zeros a pretty high-end choice for this tire size, and they shouldn't look this bad after only a relatively short period of time. i had a balance and alignment performed last year, as well.

i was told that i probably only had a few months left on them, so i'm a little perplexed as to why they'd show so much wear after less than half the lifespan of my stock good years. i haven't changed my driving style or the types of road i travel on while living and commuting here in los angeles, with only occasional road trips to SF, mammoth lakes and vegas.

so... were the pirellis a bad choice, or has anyone experienced this same time of premature wear? neither the pirelli company website nor discount tires (where i purchased them) say anything about any sort of mileage warranty or premature wear coverage.

should i be looking at the new pirelli scorpion verde (which promise long tread life), goodyear wrangler HP, bridgestone dueler, or michelin latitude as a replacement? or did i just get a bad batch of scorpion zeros? i'm thinking i need to get a new set before snowboarding season starts in earnest.

any advice or feedback is appreciated.

shedward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 2006 LR3 HSE: after wearing through my stock good years (after 50K miles and 4 years), i replaced them with pirelli scorpion zeros last year. then just last week, i went to my local tire shop and they were quite surprised to see how much wear the pirellis were showing after only 25K miles and nineteen months of use. they told me that the scorpion zeros a pretty high-end choice for this tire size, and they shouldn't look this bad after only a relatively short period of time. i had a balance and alignment performed last year, as well.

i was told that i probably only had a few months left on them, so i'm a little perplexed as to why they'd show so much wear after less than half the lifespan of my stock good years. i haven't changed my driving style or the types of road i travel on while living and commuting here in los angeles, with only occasional road trips to SF, mammoth lakes and vegas.

so... were the pirellis a bad choice, or has anyone experienced this same time of premature wear? neither the pirelli company website nor discount tires (where i purchased them) say anything about any sort of mileage warranty or premature wear coverage.

should i be looking at the new pirelli scorpion verde (which promise long tread life), goodyear wrangler HP, bridgestone dueler, or michelin latitude as a replacement? or did i just get a bad batch of scorpion zeros? i'm thinking i need to get a new set before snowboarding season starts in earnest.

My local LR dealership was/is pushing the Zero's but I just thought that something "beefier" was needed for a 6,000+ pound SUV - so I bought the Pirelli Ice and Snow from tirerack.com for my '08 LR3 SE. They have a more aggressive and deeper tread than the Zero's with a broader sidewall - they're a nice cross between the Pirelli ATRs and the Zero's. I really like my tires and rotate them every 3,000 - 4,000 miles to ensure proper wear.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too ran the snow and ice for a winter and they were great!! Wish I never sold them.

goinsurfin

Reaction score

I would contact Pirelli directly and discuss the pre-wear issue with them.

I am on my second set of ATRs and they are absolutely great! Ended up with over 47k on the first set. To expect long life on these tires, it is critical to keep air pressure accurate AND rotate every 5k for even wear. I drive mostly on road but have proved themselves well on gravel/dirt trails, deep ruts, and surprisingly- shallow mud. Lastly, without a doubt, ATRs are far quieter than stock GY HP tires too.

TiVver

Reaction score
Just to add on topic , regarding a 19 inch tires, it seems that COOPER Zeon LTZ are now available in stock size which is 255/55/19.some may not agree , that this is sufficient for off road applications,(sidewall height) but it this after all way better than wrangler HPs and suitable for folks, who DON'T wont to go OVERSIZE route.They certainly look better , than most of the tires on the market. Just my 0.2 cents..

Update: This size still has not been manufactured, but it does have a product code of 01410 (255 55 19 Cooper Zeon LTZ).

I will prolly buy a set of these if they make them by Spring, otherwise I'll revisit this and many other threads.:hmpf:

angelboing

Reaction score
pirelli scorpion update

earlier this week i ended up getting a nail in one of my tires and i've been riding on the donut for the past few days, so i decided to bite the bullet and order a brand new set of pirelli scorpion ATRs. neither the tire shop nor pirelli offers a mileage warranty on the (nearly-worn) scorpion zeros that i had, although the ATRs do come with a treadlife warranty and should last (from what i've researched) a lot longer than the 27K miles i got from the zeros. i should be getting them installed this weekend.

and my LR3 didn't originally come with the heavy-duty package. if i am able to find one used, can i fit a full-size spare underneath there?

Last edited:

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes a full size spare will fit. I have a wheel that I can ship to you. I will pm you later.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had 285/60/18 Zeon LTZ's installed on the 3. I bought a set of ten spokes and had them blasted and powder coated, gunmetal metallic grey. Loving every mile, so far. I'll get pics up this weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut