The obligatory "Show off your LR3' thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenjengrif

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the LR3/option 2 slim. So they have the stand off tubes, but the tubes dont stick out quite as much as the standard stand off tubes- think there is about a 1 inch difference in the slim tubes vs the standard tubes. I think RS also offers the sliders with no stand off tubes. No drilling, all bolts to existing.

Arkk

Reaction score
Hey, new to the club with an 06 HSE. I'm a mountain bike downhiller so she's going to be my new shuttle queen. Time to buy a tow hitch receiver, hitch mount bike rack, and then get her dirty.

The hood emblems were faded so I removed them. Since I had the fishing line out, I removed the badging in the rear too.

LR3Front.jpg

LR3Rear.jpg

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those looks like the slims to me. Here's the regular width I have on mine.
IMG_1900.jpg

:driver:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the LR3/option 2 slim. So they have the stand off tubes, but the tubes dont stick out quite as much as the standard stand off tubes- think there is about a 1 inch difference in the slim tubes vs the standard tubes.

I think - maybe it's more than just an inch difference? I have the wider stance set like Boaz and the slim I've seen seemed much tighter to the sill. Pros and cons to both regardless. The wider ones can hold you away from stuff and are nice to walk on but they look a little weird ;) I put grip tape along the length of the top 1/3 on mine which is really nice if you catch it on the back of your ankle while wearing shorts upon stepping out....

Recently had mine fully blasted and galvanized - otherwise these things rust like crazy, worse even due to the poor quality powder coat process that was used. The powder coat actually started holding in the moisture and caused worse rust than had they just been painted (powder coating can be great, when done properly with the surface prepped correctly). My Kaymar bumper has not even shown the slightest signs of rust anywhere on the main section nor any flaking/separations = better surface prep prior to powder coating.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah well that 4" of "weird" saved my passenger side door from a tree last Memorial Day Weekend in the Tillamook State Forest!!!

I'm sure the slims look great and work fine, too...but up here in the Pacific NW, the fat ones work better. That's the first I've seen or heard of that kind of flaking; that sucks.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah well that 4" of "weird" saved my passenger side door from a tree last Memorial Day Weekend in the Tillamook State Forest!!!

I'm sure the slims look great and work fine, too...but up here in the Pacific NW, the fat ones work better. That's the first I've seen or heard of that kind of flaking; that sucks.

That flaking is unusual. Houm you are dead on about the standoff tubes. RS is in Minnesota with trees and wet roots in abundance. When I pushed them for the Slims and the Stage 1's without ANY tubes, they thought I was crazy, but different conditions deserve different configurations. Where I am rocks dominate, and thus side clearance is more valuable than side protection. If I lived in tree country, those helicopter skis would be a wiser choice!

Last edited:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were designed to be flush with the sidewalls of the tires. They don't really stick out all that much. Interesting comment on the rusting. I haven't noticed that yet. I'll have to keep an eye on them. But living in AZ now, I don't get them that wet that often. :smile:

Arkk

Reaction score
[I thought I posted this but it's not showing up]

My hood badges were fading so I removed them. Since the dental floss was out, I removed the rear badges as well. I think it looks pretty clean!

LR3Front.jpg

LR3Rear.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, I prefer my wide ones too, although I have worried sometimes about the width being limiting in narrow places. Maybe we don't need to be there in the first place though.

One cool thing about our wide versions is you can use a high lift under them very easily to lift the vehicle if in a touch situation.

They are also quite good for wandering around the vehicle outside without stepping onto the ground, mud, deep snow, water, etc. with the doors open or closed, or just to get height to the rack without using the inner sill to step up.

I highly recommend the galvanizing though!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM