There may be nothing you can do... P0016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got P0016, 110k miles '13 LR4. Chain inside oil filler has a about 1/2" of play, seems "loose" to me.
Did everything we possibly could to prevent this when we got it at 67k. Frequent oil changes and whatnot.
At a real crossroads here...

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d start with a reputable Indy shop and go get a proper diagnosis, and see how bad the quote is.

Any noise on startup?

I worry more and more about my 2013 as well… I would probably repair it if you have the means to do so.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a lot of play for 43k mi of use, or do you mean its never been changed? I did my chain at 100k.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, never been changed. Does not make any of the horrible chain noises I have seen on dozens of YouTubes.
Anyone know of a reputable shop in NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD? There were two around here one closed when the guy retired and the other one has gone downhill.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, never been changed. Does not make any of the horrible chain noises I have seen on dozens of YouTubes.
Anyone know of a reputable shop in NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD? There were two around here one closed when the guy retired and the other one has gone downhill.
send me a private message.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't drive too far with it, if at all. There is potential for catastrophic failure. The chain on my '12 was loose enough to move it with my finger, but no codes it was just clacking loud. The new chain is as stiff as a board. They replaced the cam actuators too as a preventative measure for $1k more.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't drive too far with it, if at all. There is potential for catastrophic failure. The chain on my '12 was loose enough to move it with my finger, but no codes it was just clacking loud. The new chain is as stiff as a board. They replaced the cam actuators too as a preventative measure for $1k more.
It's funny, in all my searches, in all the YouTubes, there are tons and tons of noisy chains, reduced power codes, cars barely running but nothing I can find of it letting go and catastrophically breaking the chain and wrecking the engine. The car sounds fine, I would drive it to someplace to have it fixed..

Update, I went to move it from the garage to behind the shed while I figure this out and... codes were gone, didn't come back. Now the chain is def loose but shouldn't it skip a few rungs and stay there? No way to skip backwards??

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2012 LR4 as a CPO with 42k miles and the chains needed to be done on mine at around 80k miles before the CPO warranty ran out after 3 years of ownership. I changed my oil religiously every 6k miles or less. The original owner was a lease and maybe ran the oil changes per LR's recommendation, but I don't know that for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72