There may be nothing you can do... P0016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny, in all my searches, in all the YouTubes, there are tons and tons of noisy chains, reduced power codes, cars barely running but nothing I can find of it letting go and catastrophically breaking the chain and wrecking the engine.

That's interesting information, and comforting. My biggest fear is immediate and catastrophic engine failure that occurs without warning. Other stuff I can deal with, work around it, park the car until it can be fixed, or whatever. Otherwise, you can never be comfortable driving the car thinking it could blow up at any time without warning.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You could look at your camshaft adaption values. Might tell a story… might not.

ugmw177

Reaction score
A couple of observations. I think eventually all LR4s without the updated tensioner shoes will sport the loose chains at some mileage even if oil changes are at 5k or less intervals. I think this will prolong the eventuality but not keep it from happening as the hardened steel tensioner piston just wears a divot in the aluminum shoe even if oil is always "clean". Now, the duplex chain although it will stretch with age and in conjunction with the worn shoes will become loose and make noise, it is very unlikely to break. It may eventually jump a tooth but will give you plenty of warning before that happens. On the other hand, a failed cooling system [crossover pipe, heat manifold, thermostat housing etc.] will **** the engine immediately and without warning. We had an LR4 with original chains and about 100k mileage. It would on rare ocassion on very cold morning if acellerated quiclky display a code P0018 and restricted performance for a minute or so. Once warm, restricted perfromance would go away and i would reset the code. I am sure the timing chain was a bit loose and goosing it before the oil had had a chance to pushe the tensioner complete out probably set the code. Never made noise etc...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of observations. I think eventually all LR4s without the updated tensioner shoes will sport the loose chains at some mileage even if oil changes are at 5k or less intervals. I think this will prolong the eventuality but not keep it from happening as the hardened steel tensioner piston just wears a divot in the aluminum shoe even if oil is always "clean". Now, the duplex chain although it will stretch with age and in conjunction with the worn shoes will become loose and make noise, it is very unlikely to break. It may eventually jump a tooth but will give you plenty of warning before that happens. On the other hand, a failed cooling system [crossover pipe, heat manifold, thermostat housing etc.] will **** the engine immediately and without warning. We had an LR4 with original chains and about 100k mileage. It would on rare ocassion on very cold morning if acellerated quiclky display a code P0018 and restricted performance for a minute or so. Once warm, restricted perfromance would go away and i would reset the code. I am sure the timing chain was a bit loose and goosing it before the oil had had a chance to pushe the tensioner complete out probably set the code. Never made noise etc...

@Al Pizzica 's LR4 is a 2013, meaning it should have come with the updated design of the timing chain guides and tensioners from the factory.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have a 2013 with "low miles" at 57k, but with a late build date of July 2013 I always figured I didn't have to worry about he chain issue. I'd love to know what happened with a well-maintained 2013.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have a 2013 with "low miles" at 57k, but with a late build date of July 2013 I always figured I didn't have to worry about he chain issue. I'd love to know what happened with a well-maintained 2013.
pretty sure even the 2016s have timing chain issues.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @ttforcefed I connected with a real pro and am going to go ahead with a full service including all the weak points and timing chain. I'll get his expert opinion on what was actually failing on my "updated" chains and have a full report back to the group. As @ryanjl said I thought I might be good for longer. This tech said there is an outside chance this code is thrown for low oil so I will check that. He said if I don't hear any noise yet I am probably ok at least for a little while and to drive it the few hours to where he is.
Thanks, all.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting information, and comforting. My biggest fear is immediate and catastrophic engine failure that occurs without warning. Other stuff I can deal with, work around it, park the car until it can be fixed, or whatever. Otherwise, you can never be comfortable driving the car thinking it could blow up at any time without warning.
This tech I talked to has seen a few failed chains in 12 years as a tech but only when they were already making a bunch of noise and throwing restricted performance codes.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! I can cross chains off the list of things to get neurotic about. I'm not going to drive it around with restricted performance codes and/or obvious bad noises coming from the engine.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any vehicle is going to have premature wear issues if you stick to a 15000km oil change schedule.

Unfortunately for most of us, we picked up our vehicles 2nd hand from those that were happy to follow the advice for their leased vehicles and didn’t care about the long term.

Unexpected catastrophic ends do happen on all kinds of vehicles. All we can do is mitigate the issues by performing proper maintenance and repair when detected.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72