This is what happens if you don’t listen to your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sir. Service that transmission! Speaking from experience. PO did not service and ended up with a 4 month headache and a replacement transmission. My truck only had 115k at time of purchase and already had failing torque converter.

Listen to this advice.

Preetsarai

Reaction score
Even though LR recommends servicing the transmission after 150,000 miles or 10 years, I decided to get it done a bit sooner (9 years with 85,000 miles).

For reference : https://congletonservice.com/service-schedule/LR4.pdf

Both the transmission Pan with the filter need to be replaced. The mechanic also noticed a slight oil leak.

Definitely feel the gears shift smoother now. The shifts were getting clunky earlier.

Martin Apablaza

Reaction score
View attachment 9818

Yup, the intake hoses were also changed. See parts listed on the invoice.

I’m based in Jersey City - so it was far from home where this happened. I had extra coolant with me but since it was leaking so bad didn’t think it would have helped.

Same problemo for me, I ended up making the mistake of putting green coolant instead of orange LOL. Anyways I didn’t mess anything up 30k miles strong since my water pump change!

I just kept refilling her up and drove to my mechanic in Long Island city Queens NY from Jersey even when it was spraying like a blown up fire hydrant.

Changed water pump for $450 parts and labor. Then I had to go back next day because it was leaking again.

The water pump has two parts that should always be changed simultaneously for a good fit. So another $100 later and they replaced the second part and haven’t had a problem since. They even threw a stabilization link for the inconvenience.

Next time If I notice a leak I’ll be heading to the mechanic.

Bassist169

Reaction score
I recently had a coolant leak issue but it wasn't the pump or the front crossover... it was the one in the rear... a PITA to get to!! I should probably replace the front one and the water pump if it hasn't already been done. I was constantly putting distilled water in it until the part came in. But now unfortunately the float in the reservoir that the sensor reads is all wonky so I've gotta get a new expansion tank... But I've owned it for a year and that's the first issue I've had so I consider myself lucky. I'm sure a dealer would've charged me an arm and a leg for labor but I do (almost) all my work myself if its not too tricky.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But now unfortunately the float in the reservoir that the sensor reads is all wonky so I've gotta get a new expansion tank...

I thought I read somewhere around here that the sensor was about a $7 item and could be changed out without needing an entire new tank. Worth investigating?

Robin Parsons

Reaction score
I had a low coolant warning last week. Drove home from work, about 20 mins, at 105 F (typical Austin). Over night the temp dropped quickly to low 70's (also typical.) Started in the morning, and shut off as soon as I saw message. Resevoir was bone dry. Barely even residue. Immediate "LR Forum Panic Dissorder" set in! Visions of bad water pumps, hose couplings,and cracked water pipes set in! Under hood was spotless, driveway as well. Parking spot at work clean. No sign if leak anywhere. So i decided to get coolant and take a chance. I put about 1.2 litres in the resevoir and called the San Antonio dealer. As soon as I said low coolant warning, she asked if the temp dropped much over nite? Yes, I said. She said to start it and wait a few minutes and see if it comes up.

It did. And overflowed all the coolant I had added!. Nothing since. The tem staus 85 to 99 24-7 now. I am checking it daily now, but nothing noi strange noises, etc.

Apparently the new orange coolant has a big expansion/contraction ratio.

mrlifter

Reaction score
I own a LR$ 2010 with 100K on the clock bought it 6 years go when it was 3 years old have had a few problems but mainly do to poor LR servicing, have now found another NON LR garage but a lot cheaper and they know what they are doing being LR mechanics.

I shouldn't say this but no water pump probs so far, but have had new auto box lst year and understand from an auto box repair center tht at 100 K the bushes need replacing as pressure is lost which affects the auto change. I pay for a warranty this year it is £448.00 paid in 10 months installments. Had a 2nd Turbo filled after the last 1 only did 3 years and approx 36K miles. Warranty Co supplied a new one as the refurbed one's don't last and did the same with the auto box.

All in all the best vehicle I have ever owned or driven in my 64 years of driving, I am 81 now.

Neil

(mrlifter) Martley UK

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the diesels have a water pump problem. We've been talking about the 5.0 petrol engine.

SkinnyPete

Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4, was driving remotely through some canyons (no cell service) and it started sounding like a diesel (it's not). It basically ran out of coolant, never showed a warning of overheating of any kind. The cause was a cracked crossover pipe. When I asked the mechanic why it didn't give a warning, he simply replied with "Land Rovers are known for that." If I was on the open highway, I don't think I would have known there was a problem until it was too late!

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4, was driving remotely through some canyons (no cell service) and it started sounding like a diesel (it's not). It basically ran out of coolant, never showed a warning of overheating of any kind. The cause was a cracked crossover pipe. When I asked the mechanic why it didn't give a warning, he simply replied with "Land Rovers are known for that." If I was on the open highway, I don't think I would have known there was a problem until it was too late!

I just recently installed the ultragauge and the temperature hangs around 194-195 driving and I’ve seen 205 idling in traffic while the dash gauge just sits in the middle. Did your dash gauge rise at all?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72