Thoughts on filling up with E10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrezo

Reaction score
So I just finished up a camping trip and followed our caravan of rigs (I was the only LR) to Costco to fill up before making it back home.

I have always elected to put 100% 91 octane gas in the the LR4 but after noticing the price difference at the pumps it had me taking a second look at e10 fuels. For reference, I would have saved $20 on the last fill up.

Anyone use e10 and have any negative experiences?

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No choice in this region - we have 10% ethanol by rule. I’ve never noticed the difference between 93 and 91 when I have the option to get it while out on the road.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I live, only 91-octane E10 is commonly available. Been forced to use this in all our vehicles for years now. The only side effect is slightly reduced fuel economy.

That said, I would NOT use E15 in any vehicle unless the manufacturer explicitly approves it.

:eek:

mrezo

Reaction score
The only side effect is slightly reduced fuel economy.

I noticed this too on a different vehicle in the past.

That said, I would NOT use E15 in any vehicle unless the manufacturer explicitly approves it.

:eek:

^Right.

I've always been a bit hesitant since ethanol has a tendency to attract water, but I figure as long as i'm not storing the rig for long periods of time with e10 gas in it, i'll be okay.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. Although I've not had issues storing E10 without stabilizer (in a dry climate) for 6-12 months, I don't do that on purpose. Any time I may have E10 in a vehicle being stored for long periods, I use Sta-Bil, and try to keep the amount in the tank as low as possible.

The LR4 gets enough use (and, is thirsty enough) that it never has gas older than a few weeks.

If I could get non-ethanol 91+ octane locally, I'd pay the fat premium for it. Sadly, Idaho started getting the California blend fuels about 10 years ago.

:mad:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the USA was the Land of the Free? Wouldn't ethanol free gasoline be covered by this.?

mrezo

Reaction score
Sadly, Idaho started getting the California blend fuels about 10 years ago.

:mad:

Well crap. I'm so used to gas stations having to state Ethanol content at the pump in Oklahoma (lived there for almost a decade) that I thought this was a requirement of all gas stations.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?printable&nocopy=true&stateprov=CA states that there are only 24 gas stations in all of California that sell pure gas.

I've been under the assumption that gas stations which don't have the E10 notice were selling pure gas. :argh: Apparently that's not the case in California.

Oh, well.

I thought the USA was the Land of the Free? Wouldn't ethanol free gasoline be covered by this.?

:laugh:

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha. Land of free opinions but not land of free use. Corn lobbyists won over decades ago to start pushing ethanol in fuel to reduce emissions. It’s sort of a joke on all of us.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut