Ticking Noise Continued

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not start with the basics, how often do you change your oil, what oil and weight do you use, what brand of filter and what octane gas? How many miles on the engine?

Ugly

Reaction score
My 98 Disco (158,000 miles) is ticking also, but its on the drivers (left) side of the truck. Mine starts ticking right away, when i crank it in the morning. It ticks cold or hot. I haven't added any "mechanic in a bottle", lubricants to it. I think its a wrist pin bearing. I hope its a push rod end or rocker arm, or something easy to fix. Anyone else had this problem?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Check your manifold for cracks first.

Ugly

Reaction score
Is there a common crack I should be looking for? If so, where?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you start it up... you can feel around the manifold and feel the air coming through... mine had 2 cracks in it when I replaced it.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check into [email protected] , net or org I forgot.
Chris crane gas pictures of Rover cams at 60K miles, they are totally wiped out asa well the lifters.
Run a different cam with ZDDP Plus in the oil will keep a flat tapet cam alive. All the lifters i've pulled out
of Rovers were shot with the cam matching in reduced lift.

I had many ticking sounds all tjhe time it was from those Rover "tech mechanics" that installed my 4.6 under my warranty orders so they installed the exhaust manifolds without the bolt locks. Add to this the left engine mount heat shield missing as well the large washers under the bottom motor mount studs thru the frame support slots. I pulled the nut thru the left slot under full throttle because the washers were missing on both sides of the bottom motor mount studs. "TECHS" my ass!
There's much more like sun roofs open in the rain for weeks by so called "TECHS".

Last edited:

Ugly

Reaction score
No exhaust leaks on my D1. I think I have narrowed it down to a lifter ticking. It does it when I crank it and when warm. It also has a very slight miss. So I guess a rebuild is in order.

meganetrix

Reaction score
I know it's an old thread but this may help people seeking answers

I have a 2004 Discovery that started making a ticking noise with the engine warm, never cold. The noise goes away when I accelerate past 1200 RPM. I tried everything I read online, engine flush, oil honey, Marvel's mystery oil, Reslon, synthetic oils, etc. Noise did not go away, some day when the noise was at its loudest, I removed the oil cap to see if the noise was louder inside the valve covers and immediately upon removal of the oil cap I heard a hiss like noise as if the engine was pressurized and the ticking noise stopped on the spot. I tried couple more times and the effect is the same, ticking stops immediately upon release of the apparent pressure when the oil cap is removed.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never guess when it comes to a Rover engine tick or you will go broke and never fix it.
First, what oil and filter are you using and how often do you change it?
Next, do to failing oil pumps, do a full oil pressure test, cold at idle and again at 2000 RPMs, then repeat when hot at idle and 2000 RPMs. Get back to us with all 4 oil pressures. If the pressure is off replace the oil pump with a new oil pump repair kit as well as a new timing chain.
Then if you are mechanical pull the top end off the engine. If you don't know what to look for read my sticky at the top of the D2 section on either the LRO or Land Rover Forum on head gaskets and valve train noise so you know exactly what to check/look at and for inspecting the rocker shaft, rocker arms push rods lifter flat surface as well as the top of the cam lobes. When reinstalling a new cam and lifters or resetting the lifter with shims.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72