Timing chain - advice - sigh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sammydlf

Reaction score
Some advice please team.

2013 lr4 - 130km

I bought an lr4 last year and before I bought it I had it checked by both JLR and a private LandRover shop. It had a few issues with front bushings and air filters which I replaced. Timing chain looks like it had a lot of life.

I just took it in to the same private shop that I trust for service. The shop has however changed owners.

They told me that I need my front bushings done(did 12 months ago….) and my air filters need doing( again just done….). They also say my timing chain needs doing and they sent a video. It does look like there is a very tiny bit of play in the chain. But only a very very small amount. No tell tale noise or anything - the engine purrs. I would like to upload a video but couldn’t figure out how?

Is a very minuscule amount of play normal or is it a big concern. Is this shop to be trusted if they are telling me to replace items that were JUST done? It seems they didn’t even bother checking.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where was the timing chain checked, through the oil filler cap?

If the engine is not rattling, don't mess with it.

Localschauss

Reaction score
Hey,
You can upload your video to YouTube. Once uploaded you can share link via a post for us to review. A slight bit of play is normal. Before I did my chain depend on how the chain came trough rest when checking trough the oils odlter hole it had about 1/2 inch of play.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it’s probably overkill, but i do oil changed through FCP euro. I spend roughly $15 an oil change. They accept the old oil back for a refund. I change my oil every 3 months since i have the time and it takes 15-20 mins. 2011 LR4 with 125k and smooth like butter…frequent oil changes may be helping with the chains? Or i’m lucky i don’t know. Knock on wood lol.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I know it’s probably overkill, but i do oil changed through FCP euro. I spend roughly $15 an oil change. They accept the old oil back for a refund. I change my oil every 3 months since i have the time and it takes 15-20 mins. 2011 LR4 with 125k and smooth like butter…frequent oil changes may be helping with the chains? Or i’m lucky i don’t know. Knock on wood lol.
I'm about to do this. My wallet is exhausted from these $100+ frequent oil changes! Liquid Moly here I come.

landylandy

Reaction score
So I just bought my 2012 LR4 with 103k miles and got a lot of good advice about this timing chain nightmare from 2 pro mechanics!
I myself do restore classic cars and just performed lots of work on my LR4 including changing transmission oil pan and filter and ALL other fluids, brakes and air suspension parts!
There is a very good way to tell if your timing chain is worn! You will need 2 people to do so!!!
If the car is cold, open the hood and stand close to the engine heads (either side)
have someone start the car while you listen to the cold start close to the engine.
If you hear a clanking noise at startup your timing chain is loose and worn, if not, you do not have a problem! Also there are sensors in the engine that will detect a loose timing chain by the valve timing and put the car into limp mode if there is a serious problem so you will not blow up your engine or bend your valves if the timing chain should jump a tooth.
I understand it is a terrifying though to have your timing chain brake or get loose while you drive down the road and never less the expense of having to take care of that big job!
But its definitely nothing you need to do right away if you have no symptoms!
There are discovery /LR4 out there with well over 200k miles on original timing chains!
The best you can do is changing your oil at least once a year or with about 7000 miles in-between intervals. Then you do not have to worry about getting the motor oil that matches the Land Rover 15k miles interval specs! Just get a good full synthetic 5W-20 oil and you'll be fine!
Remember the 5.0 V8 is a direct injected engine, you need to clean the intake and the intake valve, best is Berryman 2611, nothing else comes close! Use injector cleaner gas additive every oil change! If you do so, you do the best that can be done and hopefully your Landy will last forever!

Sammydlf

Reaction score
Hello Team,

I have attached links to a video of the engine sound from this week and also a video from the private shop of my timing chain.

What do you think?

I am being super paranoid because the shop is telling me to do 2 other things that dont need doing. Do you think the engine sounds off? Ive watched it so many times ow I cant tell any more.

Timing Chain Wobble

Engine Noise

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA