Timing chain - advice - sigh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Localschauss

Reaction score
The slack in the chain seems reasonable, keep in mind that you want to check this a few times, depending on how the engine comes to rest it can cmhave artificial tension on the chain.

Your engine sounds healthy to me. These engines are noisy at the best of time and although we often compare our vehicles to ones on videos that have just rolled off the showroom floor. I think we do need to consider that all of our vehicles are up there in mileage now, hence they will not be sounding like new engines.

Lots of moving parts, veritable cam tensioners. The high pressure fuel pumps and cam followers etc.

My other toy is 2004 S4 which also doesn't run 100 quite like it would have being new.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Hello Team,

I have attached links to a video of the engine sound from this week and also a video from the private shop of my timing chain.

What do you think?

I am being super paranoid because the shop is telling me to do 2 other things that dont need doing. Do you think the engine sounds off? Ive watched it so many times ow I cant tell any more.

Timing Chain Wobble

Engine Noise
It sounds pretty normal to me. Then again mine sounded similar, but a bit rougher than yours on idle. You can try removing your engine cover, hood liner, and drive it up a steep hill, which is how I heard a brief unusual sound and knew my chains were in need of service.

If you have the Gap IID tool check your intake camshaft position in degrees, it should be around +/-30° of 100° at any given time, when it was off it was was closer to 200°. That's what I noticed on mine.

Localschauss

Reaction score
On this topic, I did my tensioners pretty recently. Did not replace vvt's or chain just the tensioners and quides. Ran nice and quite for while. Now recently it started making racket. Only odd thing that leads me away from it being the timing chain issue is that it only happens when the truck hit full operating temperature around 90 degress celcius. Quick noise clip attached.

Driver side chain is nice and tight everytime I check it trough the oil filler.

Is there anything else beside the timing that could be this noisy?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On this topic, I did my tensioners pretty recently. Did not replace vvt's or chain just the tensioners and quides. Ran nice and quite for while. Now recently it started making racket. Only odd thing that leads me away from it being the timing chain issue is that it only happens when the truck hit full operating temperature around 90 degress celcius. Quick noise clip attached.

Take both accessory belts off and have a listen.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score

Unfortunately, that sounds bad. If the tensioners and guides were done recently, then I'm pretty sure it has something to do with those parts. I had 2 brand new tensioners not fully extend. I unknowingly threw them out and got new ones. In your case, you can simply pull the tensioners out, fully extend them, reseat the piston, replace the pin, and reinstall as per workshop manual. Just make sure you replace both tensioner guides if you haven't already done so.

Localschauss

Reaction score
Take both accessory belts off and have a listen.

Unfortunately, that sounds bad. If the tensioners and guides were done recently, then I'm pretty sure it has something to do with those parts. I had 2 brand new tensioners not fully extend. I unknowingly threw them out and got new ones. In your case, you can simply pull the tensioners out, fully extend them, reseat the piston, replace the pin, and reinstall as per workshop manual. Just make sure you replace both tensioner guides if you haven't already done so.

Took of the bottom access, which can actually be removed without taking to much else. Left the pump and coolant hoses in place this time around. Just removed the cooling fan.

A faulty aux tensioner is likely the culpritof the noise, the spring has jump out of the tensioner rendering it useless. Found out that it possible to remove that tensioner although not exactly fun. The main chains are both nice and tight.

Waiting on the new aux chain tensioner to arrive ( although I was able to get the old back to operating I'm replacing ,not looking to do that job again) once that's in I will bottom it up and see if that solves the issue, but I'm pretty certain it will.

landylandy

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long, I was busy (not fixing my Land Rover) but finishing some show cars....
Did you perform the cold start test with 2 people?
As I mentioned in my prior post, someone needs to start the engine in the morning (or when cold) and you need to open the hood and listen to your engine front!
If you hear a clunk and rattle for a fraction of a second when starting the engine, you have a problem, if not, your ok!
The video you posted is not conclusive to me, seams like a normal play to me but again, I'd have to make the test in person to be sure. There is always some play in a timing chain however.....
Do the cold startup test! its easy and efficient!

LR4 2011

Reaction score
You are getting close to the time to change. My car has 126,000 miles and the chain is getting some slack in it so I know the piston has dug into the aluminum arm. I change my oil at 7000 every time so the oil myth is just a myth. I believe it is just a poor design and I do not believe the other myth of a chain stretching. LR Engineers appear to be hunting and pecking for solutions and slow to response.
I have a $6,000 quote from local shop but I have all of the parts/gaskets and may tackle this myself.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA