Timing of purchase and new vs. used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time Land Rover owner here. Just bought a new 2012 LR4 HSE with 101 miles at a steel for $46,900. Considered CPO Lux model but couldn't find one with less than 30,000 miles for that little money. They tried to sell me a "new" loaner 2012 HSE Lux with 11,000 miles for $48,900 but for me I want to be the first one to drive it off the lot so I know the vehicle's complete history from the start. Unless you go older than 2012 with higher miles, not likely you get exactly what you're looking for, nor do I think it would be worth it. Good luck with your purchase.

---

Not sure where you are located, but picking is slim here in DFW for CPO HSE LUX, I'm about to jump back to BMW...:creep: Don't care for the Merc GL, well '13 is nice, but I'm just not a fan of their Command system, plus the LR4; I just like the size and style. Why go BMW then you ask? Have the brand now and would likely do X3/5 with added benefit of the 4/50 maint plan and better MPG and lease of '13 vs '12 LR4 CPO

Now if the LR2 would be a smaller version of the LR4 I think they would have a hit on their hands...especially if the LR5 goes more old school vs lux path it has now. But that's just me (and an old LR2 owner)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the MB GL and have considered it because you can add offroad capability that we need for beach driving. Price becomes nuts when you add options. Compare a similar optioned GL with an LR4 HSE Lux and the GL is $20K more. And finding a used GL is nearly impossible.

I agree with the above "circling shark" buying tactics. After 3 trips to my dealer and multiple emails back & forth I was able to get $3K off a 2013 HSE Lux order that should appear in early June.

The MB GL is nice, more so in the sport dressing, but very expensive. I configured one a few months ago and it was in the high 80s. At that price, it's Range Rover all the way.

Now, that was the 550 with the V8. And although Mercedes is dropping the V8 for a TTV6, the V6 is 445 hp (something in that range) and the RR has is going to have a very uncompetitive 340hp V6. I still can’t believe LR didn’t put the larger V6 displacement in the new RRS and RR.

340hp is practically going electric.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
---

Not sure where you are located, but picking is slim here in DFW for CPO HSE LUX, I'm about to jump back to BMW...:creep: Don't care for the Merc GL, well '13 is nice, but I'm just not a fan of their Command system, plus the LR4; I just like the size and style. Why go BMW then you ask? Have the brand now and would likely do X3/5 with added benefit of the 4/50 maint plan and better MPG and lease of '13 vs '12 LR4 CPO

Now if the LR2 would be a smaller version of the LR4 I think they would have a hit on their hands...especially if the LR5 goes more old school vs lux path it has now. But that's just me (and an old LR2 owner)

Oh, BMWs... how I hate them. But not you.

Whatever you do, if you go BMW, don't get an X3. That's a total chick car and it's ugly as sin. It looks like a kid's toy. Totally taylored for Orange County teens... when I see men driving them, I feel for them.

The X5 is nice... but please, not the X3! haha... :bandit:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
---

I'm a BMW guy and would LOVE an X5, but cargo space is practical-joke bad. I mean, seriously, why bother. The 3rd row is even more ridiculous. BUt if you want an SUV that drives great on the road and don't have a lot of people or stuff to haul around, it's a great car. Pricey though.

The CEO of my company went form an RRS to an X5 V8 and is very happy. But hey, big guy, commutes alone, doesn't strike me as the guy who would ever get out of a suit, why not?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MB GL is nice, more so in the sport dressing, but very expensive. I configured one a few months ago and it was in the high 80s. At that price, it's Range Rover all the way.

Now, that was the 550 with the V8. And although Mercedes is dropping the V8 for a TTV6, the V6 is 445 hp (something in that range) and the RR has is going to have a very uncompetitive 340hp V6. I still can’t believe LR didn’t put the larger V6 displacement in the new RRS and RR.

340hp is practically going electric.

Well, the GL has a TON more room and a pretty comfortable 3rd row. And the new diesel is 240hp/455lb-ft. And it gives you 26mpg hwy with a 26.4gal tank. That's stupid range - 700miles+ easy, from what I hear.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sold in the X3 design, but it has great tech in package. I'm not a fan of owning 2 cars at same time/brand wise.

So, I keep hunting but I'm tired of looking and waiting for a '12 LUX to pop up with RSE and decent miles...and not too far way. .but I have been known to travel to get a car or two in years past...

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick CPO GL diesel search 500 mile radius (DFW using cars dot com) 4 - all 2010 - range in price 44900 to 49900 all over 39k miles.

about as hard to find as a 2012 LUX Plus :-[

Sorry to take over the topic on this thread... cheers

Last edited:

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, several main factors determine new vs used:
- patience
- flexibility on options, color, etc
- willingness to purchase remotely (size of the market you are looking at)
- how much value you deduct for a few dents/dings/stains
Premium options/upgrades depreciate faster than base items, so if you are looking for a loaded version, you can save a lot on used.

I searched casually for about 18 months before finding what I wanted, but I wanted a particular color (green), with HD package (for the factory locking rear differential). I ended up with a '11 HSE Lux at 45K miles with just about every option including HD and DVD, for $43.5K including new tires and new brakes. To me, a few minor parking lot dings and 45K miles were worth saving ~$18K from MSRP. I'll only drive it about 5K miles/year, so relatively high base miles are well worth saving some money.

At other times when I have been driving many more miles/year or when I've been less patient, I have looked at the low-mileage used market and ended up buying new.

On a possibly twisted logic, I actually did NOT want a new LR since we don't have a dealer in Montana. I figured it would be better for someone else to work out the new-car gremlins that seem to plague LR's. Since the nearest dealer is 6 hrs away, I would have to either fix minor gremlins myself or pay a local independent LR mechanic, effectively wasting the warranty.

Carfax has taken a lot of the uncertainty out of buying used, either locally or remotely.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Located a 2012 LUX with 38k on the clock. Just reduced to 48,880. Sadly no camera system or RSE. It did have satellite radio. White on almond and in great shape, also non CPO as dealer stated they typically don't CPO 2012 and that usually runs just under 3k to certify.

Guess I could buy the Ford esp warranty as I just priced a 4yr 60k zero deductible for $1880 or 3/70 for $1700. I don't see myself keeping it over 4 but more like 3.

I was all excited during the drive, well, then I realized no camera system. Dang it.

But, I told the guy if you send it to auction or drop the price again (it was 54k) then ring me up we can chat. So I threw him a bone and we will see what happens. If I could get it for 45k out the door I'd be willing to give up the camera system and RSE. Hehe

Thoughts ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM