Timing of purchase and new vs. used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's almost official that I am getting an LR4. I have all but ruled out a CPO GL350.

So the question is, new or used?

If I go new, I will go with LUX, Nara/Arabica, and add the HD pkg. That's it. That makes it exactly $60k. I'd like to think I can get at least $3k(5%) discount on an ordered car, so $57k.

The problem with going used, is that a 2012 CPO seems to go for $50k+. That is simply not worth the small discount over a new LR4 ordered to my exact specifications. If I go down to 2011's, the price gets into the mid-upper 40's, but mileage is at 20-30k and it has outdated NAV, etc. Trouble is, there are hardly any around me. And waiting to start my search until summer is a dangerous move since I may not be able to order a new 2013 if I can't find the right used LR4.

Thoughts?

Assuming I can order a 2013 in May (or later), how long until it arrives?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, if I was to go CPO, it'd have to have lower mileage. When I see CPOs in the mileage of 30K, I think back to either a car I owned or one that I already own, and how it feels at 30K. That's usually a car two- to- three-years-old. And when spending in the 40,000 to 50,000 range, do I really want a car that's a bit used? Maybe some flaws here and there? Not really... especially when for 10K more I could get one new. My '10 LR4 HSE has just over 30,000 miles and it about three-years-old. It has some flaws.

I got out of the car once too quickly and my seatbelt flung and got between the closing door tearing a very small rip on the inside of my door. Someone opened their car door and scratched the right side door handle. It's not terrible, but these are just a few examples of the types of flaws you usually see in a used car that's about two- to- three-years-old... no matter how careful you are in taking care of your car. I take very good care of my LR4, but, these little things happen. And finding a used car, that truly looks and feels brand new, is almost impossible.

Now, my opinion on ordering. I like the idea. But, it's much harder to negotiate the price. I tend to act like a swimming, circling shark when I purchase a new car. I take my time... and I hunt for the best opportunity. I factor in gas prices. Stock market. Overall consumer sentiment. I factor in inventory and dealership behavior. And when I see that sweet spot, I go in for a chew. And play stupid when looking, then slowly change my behavior (as they do to upsell) and then negotiate and close the deal. It has worked over and over again. I've walked out of many dealerships... not in a huff, but because the opportunity wasn't prime. And as I've mentioned before, finding the right sales guy is key. If I don't get approached by the right sales person, I usually just leave, and come back another time. But while I'm there, I scope out their behavior and target the right sales person by profiling. Then, when I come back, I ask for that sales person and go from there.

When I bought my 2008 e90 M3, it was just months after they released them in the US. But, at the same time, the stock market was crashing... and people were unnerved. Then, gas prices in California almost approached 5 dollars a gallon. And after my hunt, there was a loaded white M3 in Berkeley that was sitting, it had a sunroof delete (to my advantage) and I went in... and with a MSRP of $70K, I got it down to factory invoice, of $60K. It was timing... and I patiently waited... and got my dinner.

With this recent delema of the '14 LR3 possibly getting the V6 is a factor in itself. This shakes the tree a bit. Then there's the new RRS, but very pricey. Then there's left-overs... outgoing RR and the soon to be outgoing RRS. Economy is pretty good, but inventory isn't moving that fast. And gas prices are very high, again. And people looking, find it hard to purchase a car so expensive, that gets poor gas mileage, when gas is $4.50 plus a gallon. So there is good opportunities to be had... and now it's just finding the right one.

With this approach that I'm taking, I may end up in several categories. Stay tuned. :) I don't buy on emotion, I buy when it feels 100% right.

Last edited:

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with above shark tactic. I've used this myself over the years. It pays to pace yourself and research.

wayner

Reaction score
First time Land Rover owner here. Just bought a new 2012 LR4 HSE with 101 miles at a steel for $46,900. Considered CPO Lux model but couldn't find one with less than 30,000 miles for that little money. They tried to sell me a "new" loaner 2012 HSE Lux with 11,000 miles for $48,900 but for me I want to be the first one to drive it off the lot so I know the vehicle's complete history from the start. Unless you go older than 2012 with higher miles, not likely you get exactly what you're looking for, nor do I think it would be worth it. Good luck with your purchase.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats - that's an awesome, awesome deal for sure!!! Nice job...

faspaz

Reaction score
Well, it's almost official that I am getting an LR4. I have all but ruled out a CPO GL350.

So the question is, new or used?

If I go new, I will go with LUX, Nara/Arabica, and add the HD pkg. That's it. That makes it exactly $60k. I'd like to think I can get at least $3k(5%) discount on an ordered car, so $57k.

The problem with going used, is that a 2012 CPO seems to go for $50k+. That is simply not worth the small discount over a new LR4 ordered to my exact specifications. If I go down to 2011's, the price gets into the mid-upper 40's, but mileage is at 20-30k and it has outdated NAV, etc. Trouble is, there are hardly any around me. And waiting to start my search until summer is a dangerous move since I may not be able to order a new 2013 if I can't find the right used LR4.

Thoughts?

Assuming I can order a 2013 in May (or later), how long until it arrives?

I don't understand the dilemma: you've pretty much ruled out CPO based upon your description of the situation.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the MB GL and have considered it because you can add offroad capability that we need for beach driving. Price becomes nuts when you add options. Compare a similar optioned GL with an LR4 HSE Lux and the GL is $20K more. And finding a used GL is nearly impossible.

I agree with the above "circling shark" buying tactics. After 3 trips to my dealer and multiple emails back & forth I was able to get $3K off a 2013 HSE Lux order that should appear in early June.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the dilemma: you've pretty much ruled out CPO based upon your description of the situation.

Well, it's a higher risk to try and find a CPO. I was wondering if your experience was different with respect to CPO pricing. I could always take a chance and if LR butchers the 2014 LR4, and I fail to find a CPO LR4 I like, I just buy a different SUV.

The other vehicle I can't quite rule out is a Q7. With decent options (though not spec'd out as well as a LUX), the MSRP is 60K as well and I have an automatic, no haggle 6% off MSRP through work.

It drives better on road and has a more fuel efficient engine (and much bigger tank 26.4gal). But the inferior 3rd row, smaller cargo and 10" in additional length give me pause. The GL350 is the best choice for me, but way too pricey new.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GL is beastly expensive. Especially if you want the tech and upgraded looks. Can easily climb to 80K range. The GL in its standard clothes (non-sport) is somewhat unattractive IMO. And once you get into the $80K range, you're in a RR. Although a V6 with only 340 horse power.

The LR4 even non-Lux is a bargain, especially considering where LR's new pricing is going - very deep pockets required for even the most basic options. I can see the next LR5 pricing being in the ranage of base $57K SE, $61K HSE, and Lux to $70K.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM