Timing of purchase and new vs. used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camera system IMO is all gimmick and it's never worked well - not having it is a blessing... so take it as a blessing that your potential LR4 doesn't have it.

$3K for CPO, wow.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I know. But I like that sorta stuff. I was amazed that its still an issue even into the 2012 MY. Not sure if its been corrected for '13

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camera system IMO is all gimmick and it's never worked well - not having it is a blessing... so take it as a blessing that your potential LR4 doesn't have it.

$3K for CPO, wow.
I actually have to agree, but I am NOT a gadget/technology person. Some folks have said that maybe it can be helpful in off-road situations, but I would never use it and nothing beats having a spotter or just getting out of the vehicle to check out the road ahead.

I definitely wanted the HID lights, so lucky they come with the Lux package standard because I did not want the Vision Assist package. The adaptive lights might be neat, but I can honestly live without them.

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I know. But I like that sorta stuff. I was amazed that its still an issue even into the 2012 MY. Not sure if its been corrected for '13

If it worked it would be more attractive... but LR was trying to be overly innovative and couldn't pull it off... and it ended up being a huge headache for owners. The concept is good... but this type of technology is better executed by a more tech-driven company such as BMW or Mercedes.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it worked it would be more attractive... but LR was trying to be overly innovative and couldn't pull it off... and it ended up being a huge headache for owners. The concept is good... but this type of technology is better executed by a more tech-driven company such as BMW or Mercedes.
I think my dream is a turbo diesel Defender with zero options :)

Though, I will divulge (speaking of Mercedes), I have always had a crush on the G500.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Count @ Fin

You seem quite knowledgeable on all things LR4.

If I decide to move forward or the sales guys calls with new price.

What areas should I focus as I'm looking at the truck overall? It has 38k miles which is high for a '12.

I did notice the breaks squeal when I stopped most every time. I couldn't tell if it was front or rear.

I'm going to call LR service tomorrow and check out the service history since the dealer points out it was sold and serviced and taken in on trade by them.

Web link. http://www.shopautobahnbmw.com/printbrochure-2012-land_rover-lr4-hse_luxury-used-full-10188540.pdf

Thanks. Sorry I totally thread jacked.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Count @ Fin

You seem quite knowledgeable on all things LR4.

If I decide to move forward or the sales guys calls with new price.

What areas should I focus as I'm looking at the truck overall? It has 38k miles which is high for a '12.

I did notice the breaks squeal when I stopped most every time. I couldn't tell if it was front or rear.

I'm going to call LR service tomorrow and check out the service history since the dealer points out it was sold and serviced and taken in on trade by them.

Web link. http://www.shopautobahnbmw.com/printbrochure-2012-land_rover-lr4-hse_luxury-used-full-10188540.pdf

Thanks. Sorry I totally thread jacked.

Pretty much everyone on this board has a good background on the LR4s. Some of us have had the same issues, but they've been minor.

There is a bulletin on the rear brakes squeal, but that only happens when reversing. And there is also one for the water pump. Mine was replaced the first few thousand miles. A few of us have had them replaced.

My LR4 has been extremely reliable and I couldn't be happier. It's the most reliable premium car I've ever owned. LR can be quirky and most complaints have been minor. The vision pack has been the most complained about. They just don't work well.

I would think that most issues that we've had have been worked out on the LR4 you're interested in. It has enough miles. That could be a positive thing as well. Just be sure to test drive it again and take it out for at least a half hour or so. Hit bumps, mess around with the terrain control, throw it in low, make sure she drives straight, stuff like that.

Anyone else have any info to share on things to look out for?

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and I was thinking of asking for an overnight drive on it.

I also found one that popped up local today. 11 Lux loaded RSE, CC, vision and I think with the HD pak with 23k miles. This would provide a longer warranty period vs the 12 with more miles. Warranty started per carfax May '11. Funny I searched the vin and found the original posting from the LR dealer website listed at 61k. Jaguar dealer has it now listed for 48900. :cool:

I'm thinking the '11 might be a better path to take ??

Regardless going to take a test drive after work tomorrow. Will be a good comparison between the two. Rattles and all LOL. Not that the 12 really had any.

Thanks for reading.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and I was thinking of asking for an overnight drive on it.

I also found one that popped up local today. 11 Lux loaded RSE, CC, vision and I think with the HD pak with 23k miles. This would provide a longer warranty period vs the 12 with more miles. Warranty started per carfax May '11. Funny I searched the vin and found the original posting from the LR dealer website listed at 61k. Jaguar dealer has it now listed for 48900. :cool:

I'm thinking the '11 might be a better path to take ??

Regardless going to take a test drive after work tomorrow. Will be a good comparison between the two. Rattles and all LOL. Not that the 12 really had any.

Thanks for reading.

:)

The '11 sounds pretty good. What's nice about LRs is that they don't change much from year-to-year. So it makes it a little easier.

I love car shopping... so much fun. I'm sure you'll find the perfect LR4. I go with gut, if I sit in the car and it feels right, then I pull the trigger. You'll know. :)

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm taking the '11 for over night drive. Called the dealer on service history and was in for last service, May I think he said, did oil change and the camera TSB.

thinking of going in at 45k. See what they do after that.

I tried to take the '12 out for overnight and they wouldn't let me.... whatever.. no need to do business with ya then.....haha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM