Tire Size Advice Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

product

Reaction score
Hi All,

About to put a new set of tires on my 2006 LR3, and have garnered some great advice from the forums on what rubber to go with. But it seems that a slightly larger tire would be a straight fit on my stock 18" rims, and I'm wondering if anyone has gone up a size with any beneficial or detrimental results to ride or handling?

More specifically, I am planning to put on a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. Stock size replacements would be 255/60 R18, but I'm tempted to go for the 285/60 R18 for a beefier look.

99% of my driving is dry weather (Los Angeles) and on-road (lots of potholes though), only the occasional foray off road for camping. So to be honest about it, a decision to go with bigger tires would be driven by aesthetic considerations - I like the look and feel there's visually a bit too much "air" under my current LR3 fenders. I don't, however, like the bigger wheels / smaller aspect ratio look, so prefer to fill things out with stock rims wearing a little more rubber.

My understanding is that there's only about 1.5 inch increased diameter overall to this solution, so it should not materially impact clearance in the wheel wells.

Any experience or advice on such an "upsize" would be appreciated, thanks!

Best,

Joel

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have an 06 LR3 in need of new tires. I've honed in on the Terra Grapplers as well and will be curious to read what others say about your question about going with the larger tires.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many have run this size tire (Cooper Zeons) and have not had any issues. There can be slight rubbing but not really on-road, mostly when fully articulated. Also it's adviseable to move the wiring harness that attaches to the height sensors in the front, up and out of the way.

product

Reaction score
So I'm also guessing that the speedometer / odometer would need to be recalibrated... is that a simple setting via the computer?

Thanks,

Joel

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple sets of the Terra Grapplers in 285/60R18, and am currently running the Cooper Zeon in the same size. The Nittos were great out west (CO winters and wheeling were equally handled), wore well, weren't too noisy, and provided good all around performance.

I switched to the Cooper because they looked like they might handle the east coast mud a little better (for an A/T of course), and have been really happy with them. They seem a little more forgiving on road, and while I haven't had a chance to really test them in a serious off road situation yet, I did negotiate a muddy, rutted uphill that lifted the front driver wheel into the air, and I did not lose traction at all.

As Houm mentioned, it's advisable to relocate the wiring harness in the driver wheel well. All it takes is a few seconds of a tire rotating at full speed to tear through it. In regard to the speedometer, I don't think it's off by much at all...I've done some "testing" with the roadside radar units, and they always seem to be pretty close to what the speedo says.

Hope that helps.

Paul

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are any of you who use the 285/60's using a rod lift as well? I'm using a 275/65(32.5") tire with a 2.5 rod lift along with some trimming inside of the front wheel well. I have relocated the wiring harness. I'm curious to know if it would be an issue to go up one size larger with the 285/65 Terra Grapplers?

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ncburch -

I am not using the rod lift full time with the 285/60. Sometimes I will put it on when I know I will be getting into more serious wheeling, but generally its not needed with the 31.5" tires. I'm guessing you are somewhere near the max size that will fit on the LR3. I know I saw somewhere that someone put 33s on, but I can't seem to recall where/when I spotted that. If I find it, I'll post a link.

Paul

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am debating going back to a narrower tire due to the apparent adverse effect on mileage of my 285, May go to 275 and see if there is an improvement, unless I find a willing victim to swap wheels for a week to see if it makes a difference for both of us.

product

Reaction score
Interesting, I had not thought of the MPG issue... what kind of mileage are you now getting vs. before? Also, did you reset the computer to account for the different overall diameter? I would imagine this impacts the MPG calculation just as it would the odometer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA