Tire size question - 18's to BFG 16's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently, my 2000 Disco II has 275/60/18's on it. Street tires. I rarely hear any rubbing and can make full turns without noise. But I've read that anything wider than 265 can create problems.

My questions is - as I'm looking for a full set of 16' rims and plan to load on some BFG AT's, would 265/75/16 give me any problems? Is there a difference between street and A/T tires that I'm not aware of?

I would gladly replace my suspension with a OME spring / shock setup to accomodate more rubber, but my garage is only so high. I will have a hieght/garage problem unfortunately. That would be bad :(

Any thoughts? I need to get these silly grocery-gitter tires and 18' rims off my rig, like immediately.

J

rubicon

Reaction score
how much bigger are those tires you have now compared to 255/55/18? Are they on the stock hurricane 5-spoke wheels? I have an 03 Disco II with 255/55/18's. I was wondering if I could put a bigger tire on those wheels?!?!

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - but I've already switched to a set of 16's. Glad I did. You can find larger, AT tires for the 18's but it's difficult and can be expensive.

As far as tire sizing - some searching on this site will offer much info. Best of luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9