Tire wear, second alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timtiedemann

Reaction score
30,000 mile service. Was told tie rods needed to be replaced, covered under warranty. Was told tires are wearing unevenly again. I had them replaced at 18,000 miles. Dealer paid for three, I paid for one. Also had an alignment done at the 18,000 miles. Now at 30,000 I am told I need to have another alignment done with tire rotation and wheels balanced. I just had this done at 18,000 miles! They charged me $275. I guess I will be needing new tires again in a few thousand miles. Is anyone else having the same problems. I thought they had a fix for the uneven tire wear?!?!?! Please don't tell me their fix is to charge owners for a wheel alignment evey 15,000 miles.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to pay for new tires/alignment every time, but they will certainly take your money if you let them.

1. Did you replace the Goodyear HPs with another set of Gooyear HPs?
2. Did you call LRNA and let them know of your unsatisfaction?
3. Did you talk to the Dealership Service Manager?
4. Did you ask them to check the alignment at your last oil service?

Little things like that can help to some degree. I think that question number 1 is the biggie.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And did you get the tires and have the alignment at land rover or somewhere else? If somewhere else, then LRNA won't give a flying you know what. Been there, done that.

timtiedemann

Reaction score
I had the new tires replaced and the alignment done at Land Rover Allentown at 18,000 miles. Land Rover paid for three of the tires, I paid for one.

I guess my question is has anyone else had to have an alignment done every 12,000-15,000 miles? And if so did they have to pay for it. I thought this tire wear problem was a know deal and that LRNA was addressing it.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the new tires replaced and the alignment done at Land Rover Allentown at 18,000 miles. Land Rover paid for three of the tires, I paid for one.

I guess my question is has anyone else had to have an alignment done every 12,000-15,000 miles? And if so did they have to pay for it. I thought this tire wear problem was a know deal and that LRNA was addressing it.

Yes, it is a known problem, but LRNA is treating this issue very oddly. The other little things have all been addressed very proactively by Land Rover, but this tire wear/camber adjustment issue is being handled very differently. I get my alignment checked frequently and often, and I pay for it.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Nathan, they really aggravated me over this issue...and I think it's pretty complex, actually. I think there are two things going on:

1. The original LR3 alignment specs were not correct; hence the TSB.
2. The Goodyear tires wear very poorly, hence the class action lawsuit.

To wit, I have gotten the alignment done once, and have replaced the GYs with Michelins and they seem to be wearing well. So, if this problem is some strange function of both the original alignment specs AND the Goodyear tires, let's hope swapping tires and aligning the truck one time does the job.

swr

Reaction score
Yes, it is a known problem, but LRNA is treating this issue very oddly. The other little things have all been addressed very proactively by Land Rover, but this tire wear/camber adjustment issue is being handled very differently. I get my alignment checked frequently and often, and I pay for it.
Does this affect the 2008 LR3? Or have they fixed the glitch?

I am at mile 2300 and noticing a pull to the right and my steering wheel not being level when going straight... but I am also transitioning from a BMW M3... so it might be a lack of tolerance on my part (two very different vehicles).

NWoods, how often is "often"? Do you have to go to the dealership? What are they charging? Do you find off-roading leads to more frequent need for alignment?

Thanks

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NWoods, how often is "often"? Do you have to go to the dealership? What are they charging? Do you find off-roading leads to more frequent need for alignment?

Thanks

No idea about the 2008, sorry. Often mostly becuase I drive 25,000 miles a year, and so I do it quarterly. Yes I off road my truck, but it's the pavement that tortures the tires, not the dirt! I don't go to the dealership except for the 7,500 mile service intervals or for the occassional warranty item (like sunroof drain tubes). However, I do get parts from the dealers fairly often (accessories and bits of plastic and whatnot). All the parts managers in the three nearest dealers know me by name :)

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHOA -- if the dealer replaced a tie-rod under warranty, this necessitates an alignment also under warranty. Can't do the former without the latter (ask any Audi owner, darn tie rod ends are so poorly engineered, maybe those on the LR3, too?).
Warranty covers this necessary alignment as part of the tie rod end replacement repair. I know about this warranty coverage as I just benefitted from same. Took car for a self-pay alignment per new TSB specs, and the dealer found a bad tie rod and gave me a free alignment as part of the job.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides my Free Alignment advice (fight for this, bud)

I forgot to mention that you should not get the GY tires this time, in case it's not clear.

First, get the alignment. Then, choose from so many other good tires at less cost.
Have you seen this yet? http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=46 There are other choices, including a new Bridgestone, Toyo and the value priced but highly rated private label Avon from TireRack.

Again, though, your alignment is free after a warranty tie rod replacement job. Dispute the credit card payment on this and contact your service manager and, if needed, rise up from there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99