Tire wear, second alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I dropped off my LR3 for un-even tire wear. They said it's due to "crappy" GoodYear tire. Mileage is 28,773 and they said I would have given up those tires long time ago if I didn't do alignment before (I've done twice, one from LR3 and one from local shop).

They strongly recommended "Vredestein" tires, which I've never heard of before. They started carrying that brand not long ago. It's cheaper and equal (if not better) to Michaeline according to LR3 service.

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?UsersessionID=93404353&BandgroepID=4&BandtypeID=15

They quoted me $1100 for four set of tires and $200 for alignment.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Michelins are quite expensive. I got really really lucky and a friend helped me out by sending me a Craigs List link...on said link a guy who buys and sells wheels and tires (local guy) had 4 Synchrones in my size with 95% rubber (maybe 98% as you could still see the little rubber stubble on the sides) and sold them to me for $450! What a deal; I was very thankful.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flysurfer, which tire did they recommend? Of the SUV tires on that web site, one is a winter tire and the other looks like a drag slick.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely not Ultrac SUV so, it leaves Wintrac 4 Extreme. I didn't know what it was at that time. Now I am looking at their website and it is "winter" tire?

Anybody any comments on this tires?

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's alot of dough for new doughnuts. Another poster here swears by his and says that they're all season. I called the company and was told that they're winter only. I own Nokian WR for the for-sale Audi allroad which are both extreme snow rated (the wonderous Alpine mountain symbol) AND all season approved (won't melt away during summer use). If you have 18", I suggest looking at the newest version of the WR. Also, it's more widely available than is Vredestein, should something happen.
Otherwise, you have many, many choices and could spend less on them if that matters. Dealer tire and alignment prices tend to be high.
Carefully read this thread and link to nextstepdesigns.com for more detail. This assumes 18". 19" choices are worse.

Josh775

Reaction score
Vredestein has a Wintrac Xtreme (dedicated winter max performance) and a Wintrac 4 Xtreme (All-weather high performance). Both have the severe service symbol with the snow flake and mountain peak meaning they exceed government standards for snow conditions. However, Nokian just came out with the WR G2 SUV:

http://http://www.tiresbyweb.com/pc-7396-128-nokian-wr-g2-suv.aspx

Nokian states they have improved upon the WR at least 10% in every category. Both are awesome choices!

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the myspace link is not working for me, Josh. The other link does.
There's a new fancy Bridgestone Dueler out there, and many liked some newfangled GY model from posts that I read here. I like those Nokians, even for that kind of money. Tell us what you do.

Josh775

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the link. I got it ironed out. What is it I do you ask? I act as a resource for members with questions on tire/wheel fitments. When I can be of assistance pertaining to enhancing vehicle saftey though tires, I enjoy helping out. Many manufacturers suggest rotating tires every 7,500 miles to keep the tires from getting out of round. I say a good habit is rotating every other oil change.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh, I have plenty of tire fitment questions. Can a rim from a BMW X5 fit an LR3, for example? I get some rubbing from my Cooper Zeons that others on this board haven't experienced; I assume it's because I have an aftermarket rim and the offset is a bit different...does that sound right?

When will Goodyear sell the damn MT/R in the United States in the 255/55R19 size!?!?

Josh775

Reaction score
The BMW X5 wheels for a 02-06 have the same 5-120 bolt pattern, same high off set and relatively identical hub 72.56 vs 72.5 hub on the LR3 and should be good to go. If the wheels for the X5 are from 00-01 or 07-08, the hub is slightly larger at 74.1. You may get rubbing depending on your off set. You should try and stay between 35-42.

As for Goodyear bringing the 255/55R19 MT/R in the United States...have not heard anything on that. Some what of a growing demand for aggressive tire in that size so if Goodyear does not bring it, then someone else will make it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4