Tire wear, second alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timtiedemann

Reaction score
Thanks. I did call another LR dealer and asked them if they would have charged me for the alignment and they basically told me the same thing you did. I appreciate your information. We'll see what LRNA comes up with. I am guesing I will get my $275 back for the alignment. Although I don't have that much faith in LRNA.

timtiedemann

Reaction score
Thanks mustbeaudi. I did call another LR dealer and asked them if they would have charged me for the alignment and they basically told me the same thing you did. I appreciate your information. We'll see what LRNA comes up with. I am guesing I will get my $275 back for the alignment. Although I don't have that much faith in LRNA.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with a nice letter to your dealer's service manager pointing out this error, with the expectation that they will rectify. Could have been just ignorance of the SA. If that fails, notch up to GM of store. LRNA is not the place to start, really. Playing nice but not too forcefully will likely get results. Let me know if I can help in any way.

timtiedemann

Reaction score
They gave me $100 gift certificate to shop in the Land Rover store and are going to give me a free oil change. I guess they will align the front for free when replacing tie rods, but they will charge for the two rear tires to be aligned.

I am glad they did something.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clarify, please: Did you get the $275 back, or only $100 for stuff you were not going to buy and a free $40 oil change? I'm hoping the last two are make-up gifts to accompany your refund. But, PLEASE heed our advice and don't buy Goodyears and not from the dealer. So many better choices and less costly, too. Suspension getting aligned has nothing to do with when, where or what type of tires purchased other than the old tires "show" the misalignment condition to the tech - so some argue it's best to put tires on afterwards!

Thebigtuna

Reaction score
Just returned 2006 LR3 same problem

The uneven tire wear occurred on both front tires. I had 21,000 miles on the car. The edges of the tire looked like they were scalloped. My lease was up so I did not complain.

CaliCruiser

Reaction score
This is an old issue, but will never go away if LR continues to play the denial game. My wranglers on 19" wheels wore on the inside on all 4 tires at 19k miles. Service didn't try to explain it, but gave me 4 scorpion zeros at 50% cost and a free alignment. The scorps wore on all 4, inside tread again, at 15k miles. The rest of each tire had very little wear. The new guy at service clearly doesn't give a damn and basically tows the company line (although he has no problem providing prompt service for the usual things covered under warranty).
He first tried to blame the alignment, ie, me, but the wear pattern is too symmetrical. Plus I've been checking out other LR3s in parking lots, and if they have wear, its all the same (like mine). After I politely suggested I didn't believe his BS, he said its the nature of the car, its heavy, and the constant jostling from the air suspension is the reason, ie nothing for LR to do about it. I believe the car's weight will increase wear, but not directly affect wear pattern. I so much more liked the prior service guy since he at least never tried to feed me BS. I just may have to change dealers.
So now I have 4 new Michelens at my cost. Dealer says they do alignments for $150. I will rotate my tires more frequently (free at America's tire if you buy there), but I don't know how that will help when I have premature wear in the same location on all 4 tires simultaneously. Maybe I need 14" wheels and a whole lot o' rubber!

Thebigtuna

Reaction score
Last week I posted a note, how the 2008 LR3 has a noticeable change in the steering. It is now so simple to turn the wheel my two-year-old grandson can do it. Gone is the tighter and stiffer steering that I so much enjoyed on the 2006 model. When I brought this up to the service manager of one of the largest Land Rover dealerships in the country, he told me the steering change and suspension correction was as a result of damage being done to tires for the past few years, such as the scalloped wear that I experienced. My tire deterioration was always on the two front tires You can interpret this as Land Rover admitting that there was a flaw in the design. I imagine this has affected thousands upon thousands of current Land Rover's.

We should take the opportunity of using this forum to consider a class action suit or something so that all of us be compensated for the additional expense that we have experienced as a result of Land Rovers own admittance of a not so perfect design.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the contrary, I will interpret that as your service manager being full of crap. First of all my rear tires showed the inside wear...same side (passenger) too. Secondly, since switching to Michelins I have had no problems.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer charged me $160 for alignment last weekend. Just FYI for price comparison.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99