Tow Bar stowage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

tzinsli

Does anyone with a 7 seater have the tow bar holder with stap located in the rear left storage cubby. Is that an accessory that must be purchased?Page 197 of the manual shows it. I just have an open space there allowing it to loosly bang around.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 came with it, since the hitch receiver was included. I find it fairly pointless carrying the hitch receiver at all times. If I need it, I install it. I leave the weight at home in my garage.

If you really want the hitch receiver storage bracket, order VVO500020. It's somewhere around $100, without installation. It takes maybe 30 minutes to install.

L

lacarruk1

grommet said:
My 2005 came with it, since the hitch receiver was included. I find it fairly pointless carrying the hitch receiver at all times. If I need it, I install it. I leave the weight at home in my garage.

If you really want the hitch receiver storage bracket, order VVO500020. It's somewhere around $100, without installation. It takes maybe 30 minutes to install.

Grommet - Of course you remember me - I am the guy who went from the 2005 with crappy mileage to the 2006. On my 2005, my tow hitch was neatly strapped in the left rear panel of the rear of the truck. When they gave me my new 2006, they told me to hang onto my tow hitch. My 2006 is missing that strap. Are you saying I have to buy that part you mention above (VVO500020) in order to secure it? The dealer told me, "sorry - there is nothing we can do for you on securing that tow hitch in your 2006". Please confirm?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the part for it. Very few people order it, because of what I said... it's expensive for very little gain. I can't think of a time I would want to carry it and not have it already mounted and ready to go.

Most people probably don't know the part exists...

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it, but don't use it. Problem for me is that the receiver fits in the storage area, but the tow bar/ball combination doesn't. Why bother storing one without the other? You need them both to tow.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
search around here and you'll find a picture of it posted.

i wish there was better standard storage provided as most of us just pick it up from the dealer anyway. its not one of those things i use everyday, but because it is infrequent, its nice to have it on me when i need it. a lot of times its more of a "...hey, you have a truck, can you move that trailer for me?" ... or we're going on a boat and someone has vehicle problems and needs you to tow for them.

Still haven't figured out a solution w/ the LR3 though. I keep the receiver on the truck but the insert/ball hitch is long. haven't found a good place for that yet.
-todd

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 5-seater, you have space to store a ball hitch. :)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of which, if anyone has a receiver that they decided they don't need, please let me know. I wouldn't mind having one, but I don't need it four hundred dollars' worth. Frickin' ripoff.
If I had to say, the $400 hitch/harness and the low-slung exhaust pipes are my least favorite things about the truck - But that's a whole other thread altogether.

T

tzinsli

I'll probably just separate the hitch from the receiver,, wrap them both in a towel and pack them into the storage space so that they won't be able to move around and damage something.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99