towing harness and key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZC06LR3

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I have the factory hitch that came with my HSE - I can't find the little red key anywhere to remove it from the vehicle. I assume they're all keyed differently and Id have to go to a dealership for a replacement. Is there a special hiding spot for it anywhere?
Would the factory towing wiring be hidden somewhere? I haven't been able to locate it anywhere, so I'm hoping maybe someone knows that it's wrapped up with the driver side brake light harness or something?
Since I bought it used, maybe the PO just lost it or forgot to take it when they sold it but I'm hoping maybe they're 'hidden' really well?
cheers
z

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the key, there's no designated hiding place for it that I know of. I guess your dealer is the best place to start for a replacement. The wiring harness would be obvious if you had it. It is located right next to the receiver and plugs in to the left rear brake light wiring loom. But it would be odd to have the hitch and no wiring...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that odd. I have the hitch only; I use it for mounting a bike rack.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the harness it will be under the door above the hitch receiver. You need to turn the two slotted plastic screws a quarter turn and remove the door, it will be to the left of the tow eye, a seven and four pin plug. If you need the harness you can get one from Atlantic British, an easy install.

As for the key, no special place. It is small, I would look in the ash tray, or possibly in the third row seat area. There are two compartments behind the rear tail lights that they could be in also. Mine came with two keys, which I kept in the ash tray.

When you find the key you need to turn it about half way and pull out on the green knob to get the receiver out. There is a number on the cover where you put the key in and the same number on the key, maybe the dealer can make you a new key.

srschick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wasn't there something that held the harness/key/hardware in one of the rear cubbies?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9