TPMS question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

julianLR4

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 2011 LR4 HSE model and recently picked up a set of 2013 LR4 wheels, which came with their own set of TPMS. We had the wheels put on and they were all fine for about 24-hours, till my wife drove through a patch of rough road and the light came in with a message that TPMS have malfunctioned. The message now comes on every time we start the truck, the indicator flashes for about a minute, then stays solid. So, my question is: Are 2013 TPMS not compatible with 2011 model or do I need to, somehow, re-calibrate, the computer? Thanks very much in advance.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPMS sensors frequency was changed from 315 to 433 mhz during MY2013 (VIN DA696287 and onward.) Depending on which VIN your 2013 wheels came from, that may be your problem.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPMS sensors frequency was changed from 315 to 433 mhz during MY2013 (VIN DA696287 and onward.) Depending on which VIN your 2013 wheels came from, that may be your problem.

Nice to have timely proof (likely anyway) of Mhz info for that other thread. My service guy said it matters but then they probably never tested it, even unintentionally like the above experience.

julianLR4

Reaction score
Thanks for the details. So, am I do assume that the only thing I can do is take my old TPMS of the 2011 wheels and put them on these ones? Guessing no computer reset can make 2013 ones work on my 2011? Sorry for all the questions, just don't know anything about TPMS, but never had issues on older LR3 or BMW X5/X6 when changing wheels with TPMS on them, so this is the first time I had an error such as this.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, if you have a different frequency system, the sensors in the wheel aren't talking to the TPMS module in the overhead console, so after a while the module throws a system fault as it is unable to poll your wheels. You can either transfer the sensors from your original wheels onto the new ones (a qualified tire shop can do that, you will likely be charged a labor fee and the cost of some new o-rings for them), or purchase a new set of 4 sensors compatible with your VIN, leaving your original wheels alone. Sensors run around $70-100/ea, depending on where you source them.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't have an issue before because you lucked out and had the same Mhz without knowing. For example, there's about 6 years of tpms that are all interchangeable within lr3/4 so it would be just as easy to never know about this.

Whether or not to pull apart the old wheels depends on what your plan was in the first place. You could also just buy new sensors for the new wheels.

julianLR4

Reaction score
Right, if you have a different frequency system, the sensors in the wheel aren't talking to the TPMS module in the overhead console, so after a while the module throws a system fault as it is unable to poll your wheels. You can either transfer the sensors from your original wheels onto the new ones (a qualified tire shop can do that, you will likely be charged a labor fee and the cost of some new o-rings for them), or purchase a new set of 4 sensors compatible with your VIN, leaving your original wheels alone. Sensors run around $70-100/ea, depending on where you source them.

Thanks very much for these details!

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so where is a good place to source some new TPMS units? will need them as I also just got a set of 18's.

Thanks

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased mine from TPMSDirect.com. Not the cheapest on the web probably. but way cheaper than my local dealer for OE replacements.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atlantic British has them for $105 each. What's the price from tpmsdirect?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99