Trailer programming with GAP IID tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just installed a trailer hitch and the wiring harness from AB. There are several options available to enable with the gap tool, but I'm not sure what all to select. Anyone have any insight? Here is a pic of the options. In the "trailer module" there are a number of different options based on the type of connector. I don't know what "tow bar" means vs. "trailer towing ball"? Does "trailer stability assist" work with any trailer, or that requires some other special equipment like electric brakes?

Thanks,
Jeff

trailer options.PNG

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same question, I just picked a couple and turned them on, I need to investigate further though. Our utility trailer is recognized (blinking trailer turn sign on dash and reverse proximity disabled) but Our horse trailer isn't recognized and is annoying to reverse alarming and all (lights still work on trailer though) I would appreciate more clarification too, if not I'll just play with the ecu more.

xrp86

Reaction score
Did anyone figure this out?

everything works on mine BUT the right turn signal... tested fuese, followed wires and everything looks good.

im hoping it’s something I can program here with the gap tool..

xrp86

Reaction score
Turned out to be the female socket.. I punched the wire right befor the socket and ..

I still would like to know what to program the setting socket.

there’s one option “7 pin USA”

and many others ‍♂️

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Mine has issues with LED trailers on 7 pin connectors. The tail lights don't stay on when the headlights are on, but EVERYTHING else works. I don't have any issues with regular incandescent bulb trailers.

If I was going to get an electric brake controller this is the one I would get, Tekonsha P3 with the Ford F150 connector. Another group that I'm in all swears its plug and play.

Brake controller, https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-901...ild=1&keywords=Tekonsha&qid=1593479551&sr=8-2

I think this is the adapter, https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-303...ld=1&keywords=Tekonsha&qid=1593479709&sr=8-16.

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has issues with LED trailers on 7 pin connectors. The tail lights don't stay on when the headlights are on, but EVERYTHING else works. I don't have any issues with regular incandescent bulb trailers.

If I was going to get an electric brake controller this is the one I would get, Tekonsha P3 with the Ford F150 connector. Another group that I'm in all swears its plug and play.

Brake controller, https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-901...ild=1&keywords=Tekonsha&qid=1593479551&sr=8-2

I think this is the adapter, https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-303...ld=1&keywords=Tekonsha&qid=1593479709&sr=8-16.

That is the one I am running with very good results for my RV. It was plug and play.

As for the GAP settings. Yes you want the 7 PIN for the USA. I also turned on Trailer Towing ball, tow bar, and the trailer stability assist since it was off.

If you are having issues with the LED lights there is a write here that I followed to help in getting that sorted. Adding to resisters to the towed vehicles turn signals fixed the issue with the LED equipped trailer not being detected.
https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/trailer-light-question.28411/page-2#post-204232

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but I just got my wiring harness installed this past weekend and will need to activate tow assist with the GAP tool as well. So I see four "tow/trailer" related settings up in the screenshot above. I presume all 4 need to be activated including the "trailer module"?

bdd123

Reaction score
Installed a LR wiring harness on 2016 LR4.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 184945.png
Enabled stuff in IID tool->BCM Body Control, no change.

But I am not sure what the IID tool->BCM Body Control->Trailer Module is/does, choices are:
Trailer Module 7 - Position socket with rear fog lamp
Trailer Module 7 - Position socket with reverse lamp
Trailer Module 7 - Position socket with power supply
Trailer Module 13 - Position socket
Trailer Module 4 - Position socket

Anyone know what this is/does? Will it matter?

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the same harness and brake controller a few weeks back. Took it to the local trailer shop and they plugged into it to test it. Said everything was working, including the brake controller. Don't have a GAP tool, but I could probably go to the local independent LR repair shop and have them program in the trailer stuff. Just wanted to say that mine seemed to function fine even without all the bells and whistles. Of course, bells and whistles can be fun too!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut