Transfer Case problems!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adgunn94

Reaction score
OK I tore down and lubed the shifter for the T-Case and the diff-lock, It wasn't too bad, but when i got it all put together, i do not have neutral, or low-range. i have full movement of the shifter linkage but i have no results!!!!! Thankfully it has High Range, i can still drive it, but what good is a land rover without low range??? Need all the help i can get!!:mad:

1994 Discovery
Auto
Stock- for now
155K miles

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you had it torn down, did you test it to see if the linkage was moving an all the parts were free. It may be a bent part or something, generally the Transfer case doesn't just loose low range.

adgunn94

Reaction score
I'll check it out this evening, it seems to be moging good, i can feel it like its trying to do somthing, is there a wear point on those T-cases? Where would be a good source for a rebuild kit? In my stupitidy, i broke the little plastic "keeper" that goes on the ball-joint on the shifter mechanisim, that holds it in place...maybe i can get one locally, NAPA, or Autozone...I'll let you know....

adgunn94

Reaction score
well, i tore it down further. i drilled out the rivets that hold down the shifter, and got direct access to the T-case linkage. it was bent. BUT the lever that goes into the transfer case itself it tight, and i cant move it with a 12" crescent wrench. now what??? looks like im gonna have to drop the Transfer case when i get a chance.

adgunn94

Reaction score
IDEA!!!!

I was looking through my CD Repair manual, and it mentioned somthing about a neutral saftey switch...think that could be bad and holding my truck in high range????:stupid:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That is possible.. it will not shift into neutral unless it is in nuetral, also it helps if the vehicle is moving slightly... but I hope for your sake all is good if you are moving and get it to move... if not you may be stuck in low.

adgunn94

Reaction score
:proud:

FIXED!!!!!!

I pulled the Solenoid for the saftey switch, it was corroded up and froze up like somthing wicked! I removed the solenoid, and put the cover back on the Transfer Case, worked the shifter a little to free it up, and now im DANG proud to be a Rover owner. That thing will crawl wickedly. I had a junk Toyota car that I crawled on with my 96 Dodge Ram that was lifted 3" and had 33" tires. I made the same run with my STOCK Land Rover!!!! I love it!!!:biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4