Transmission confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spacedogb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a 2006 LR3 with 140k, and I am looking to have my transmission fluid changed and my shift solenoids replaced. I currently have no issues with the transmission, I just don't think it has ever been serviced. I called Indy places around Houston and Katy both told me do not touch the system. I called an Indy in Dallas and he told me not to touch till 150k. Can someone whos been near my mileage or in my situation give me some advice?

Thanks in advance

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes - change fluid and filter.

Curious - if no issues, why do you want to replace solenoids?

Spacedogb

Reaction score
I was going to change them out as a preventative. I would hate to change the fluid then have one go bad in 10k-15k miles. Just figured they were getting up in age just like the car and fluid.

BigZ

Reaction score
I had a shifting issue with 2nd gear. 170k miles on my transmission. As far as I could find out it had never been serviced. My local shop and the LR dealer advised not to touch the system. After some research and pretty much nothing left to lose, lol, I decided to do a complete service. It was either try or buy another vehicle. I changed everything including solenoids. After carefully doing the job I drove it a few miles and it worked better than before. Reset the shift adaptations and it was silky smooth. That was last year, no problems at all since. I think it's important to change the fluid and filter in the transmission every 30-40k miles. The parts were approximately $800 total. Very happy with the results.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I"m bumping 240k miles and AFAIK my transmission has never been open. It does go against any logic to not change the fluid and filter regularly, I agree.

Spacedogb

Reaction score
Small update....Was told by an indy 4x4 shop that my transfer case was full of water and that it would be on its way out soon. They said they were able to replace with Royal Purple spec fluid but they don't have the knowledge to service the ZF transmission. Was also told that I should look to sell because repairs are no longer worth it on my SUV.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
full of water?? how does that happen
I would run this new fluid for a bit then swap new fluid again - easy DIY at home

Being "not worth repairing" is a ridiculous blanket statement
Totally dependent on the cost of - and repair - required

And said by a shop that somehow can't work on a common trans??
Find a new shop - then swap your trans fluid if you can not DIY

Spacedogb

Reaction score
This shop only handles diffs and mostly does Jeep upgrades. I have no idea how the water got into the diff. I'm thinking water is from previous owner as I have never taken it off-road or driven through water.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....don't give up on it, yet. Try what Doug suggests, at least. I'd call around to find a place that services European cars/transmissions and tell them that you have a ZF, and see what they know. At a minimum, just drain out as much fluid as you can, and refill. 140k miles is not that many for an LR3.

dlonesty

Reaction score
2011 LR 4 HSE Lux with 198K on the truck. I will never trade or sell...ever. I had my LR indie shop do the fluid/pan change at 150k, as recommended by LR. Never had a problem and none so far. Fluids are important and changing them out at recommended intervals is very important. You have a classic and I wouldn't treat it like a normal vehicle. There are no more being made. As such, I would do the recommended thing b y a knowledgeable LR person and call it good.If your truck is nothing special to you, leave it and find another.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72