Transmission issue when cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search the forum for sonnax zip kit
thanks. looks like i was that guy. found thorough instructions.

so, i assume that the zip kit is something i shouldn't skip on? its one of those "while your in there" items?

the current plan is solenoids (1068298046), zip kit (ZF6-GEN2-ZIP), upgraded pan gasket (LLT-F6R80).

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you start replacing hard parts... did you reset the transmission adaptation after the fluid & filter change? If not, I'd start there.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you start replacing hard parts... did you reset the transmission adaptation after the fluid & filter change? If not, I'd start there.
i did not. i was reading that unless replacing hard parts, not to mess with trans adapatations.

i have also asked IID for updated trans module firmware. ill make sure this is updated before physicial work.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. looks like i was that guy. found thorough instructions.

so, i assume that the zip kit is something i shouldn't skip on? its one of those "while your in there" items?

the current plan is solenoids (1068298046), zip kit (ZF6-GEN2-ZIP), upgraded pan gasket (LLT-F6R80).
Yeah. Once you have cracked the tranny open and have the mecatronic off it’s not that big a deal to do the zip kit and solenoids. Don’t forget to get the separator plate if you do the zip kit.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a whole thread on this, on a 6sp. It's more work but not that complicated, if you're already in there. Just replacing the solenoids doesn't address the other wearable parts(end plugs, o rings) that are in mechatronic unit. And since proper pressure is critical, replacing these helps a lot.

Last edited:

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the iid tool, my Trans module is up to date.

The weather was warmer here today (55+) and the problem didn't exist.

If it helps diagnose, I only get the minor slip when it's cold (40 and below), and when the cars is first driven. And it only happens once per drive, usually after the second full stop I make. Weird.

I'm gonna ride it out for a month and see how it goes before cracking open the mechatronic unit.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd still consider an adaptation reset before resorting to mechanicals. Do you recall where you read that resetting adaptation was discouraged? That's news to me. In the Daimler-Chrysler world with their NAG-1/NAG-2 boxes (vaguely similar to the JLR trans), resetting adaptation is almost standard procedure when things get wonky.

:cool:

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Sounds like the one guy generally doesn't like to do it on high-mile transmissions. But I don't think it's a big risk. I've not poked around in the GAP tool to see if it will display detailed adaptation information, i.e. where you can tell if a particular upshift/downshift is near or at the maximum limit allowed by the software. The Daimler stuff will show that, and it's useful to determine if a particular shift valve, or clutch, is worn or otherwise having issues.

Aren't these ZF transmissions shared with BMW's? Any words of wisdom from the Bimmer crowd on the equivalent unit?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the consensus was to reset adaptations if the solenoids were replaced, but not if just the fluid was replaced. The adaptations account for wear in the solenoids.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72