Transmission issue when cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 LR4 with 143k miles. transmission filter and fluid changed 3k miles/6 months ago.

Since the temperatures have dropped i have noticed i get 1 hesitation/slip almost every time i drive the car.

temperature is around 40 degrees when I leave for work. i do not let the truck warm up before i start driving. i notice that the first 1/4 mile of driving the gears are held longer, which id expect since fluid is thicker when cold. no big deal.

The real concern is that first long stop i make (at a light) about 1/2 mile from starting my drive, i almost always get a slip/hesitation between the 2-3 shift when i start moving again. only happens once per drive, doesn't happen at first few runs through the gears, or when stopping at the numerous short stops (stop signs) prior.
it does not happen for the rest of the drive, or after the car is warmed up and stopped/started again.

it bothers me that it happens only once, not the first shift of the day, and always at the same gear shift.

There are no codes when scanned with the IID tool.

any one else have a similar complaint/solution? am i chasing a phantom Land Rover issue? something to be concerned about?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR4 is a 2013 with 127K miles. Transmission fluid and filter changed at 75K miles. I did notice that mine does shift oddly the first mile or so, especially now that it is colder out. I agree, there is one really clunky 2-3 shift about 3/4 mile from my house after stopping at a stop sign. Once warmed up it seems to shift fine.

By comparison, my wife's LR4 with 35K miles does hold the gears longer until warmed-up, but no clunky or odd shifting. I'm thinking we're seeing "normal" behavior after many miles. I'd be more concerned if this odd shifting happened after being fully warmed-up.

Justin Barden

Reaction score
2012 lr4 with 100k miles. My dealer told me that 10 years 150k (which ever comes first). Is when I should service the transmission. That felt odd. I have lost the manual to double check that. I am feeling a slight bump (assume slip) at 1st to 2nd, but it hasn’t been that cold here in SC. I am likely going to push for the service ASAP.

Chris Moffitt

Reaction score
Sounds as if your fluid may not have been properly topped off or you’re leaking fluid. Also, as a side note, after a transmission flush you need your transmission adaptations reset and recalibrated through a very specific drive cycle. Don’t know what that is for the LR4 but I’m sure someone does.

Chris Moffitt

Reaction score
2012 lr4 with 100k miles. My dealer told me that 10 years 150k (which ever comes first). Is when I should service the transmission. That felt odd. I have lost the manual to double check that. I am feeling a slight bump (assume slip) at 1st to 2nd, but it hasn’t been that cold here in SC. I am likely going to push for the service ASAP.
Try recalibrating your longitudinal accelerometer. But before you do that, ensure your on very level ground, your tires are properly inflated, you have no excessive load in the truck, and your gas tank is at least half full. Then perform a ride height calibration, then perform the longitudinal accelerometer calibration.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see there is a mechatronic solenoid replacement kit for the lr4.
is this something that could help my 2-3 shift issue?

i also now know of the upgraded trans pan gasket, which i regret not using when replacing my pan/filter (paper gasket is seeping)

im thinking that if the solenoids could help, ill change to the better gasket and hopefully knock these problems out at once.

and...can anyone provide a link to a DIY for solenoid replacement?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see there is a mechatronic solenoid replacement kit for the lr4.
is this something that could help my 2-3 shift issue?

i also now know of the upgraded trans pan gasket, which i regret not using when replacing my pan/filter (paper gasket is seeping)

im thinking that if the solenoids could help, ill change to the better gasket and hopefully knock these problems out at once.

and...can anyone provide a link to a DIY for solenoid replacement?
Do you have the 8 or six speed? Here is the 8 - 9PCS Solenoid Kit Set 8HP45 8HP70 Fits for BMW JAGUAR RANGE VOLKSWAGEN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNL7G9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8p14FbMQ24N8A
Don’t forget the sonnax zip kit.
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4590-zip-kit

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found these. The pdf link may help best, but I cannot upload the pdf here.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/transmission-rebuild-87764/

Screenshot_20201223-083034.png
Screenshot_20201223-083026.png

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the 8 or six speed? Here is the 8 - 9PCS Solenoid Kit Set 8HP45 8HP70 Fits for BMW JAGUAR RANGE VOLKSWAGEN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNL7G9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8p14FbMQ24N8A
Don’t forget the sonnax zip kit.
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4590-zip-kit

6 speed

at the risk of sounding like a noob....what is this zip kit? i thought i just replace solenoids.this looks like a very involved extra that requires opening the mechatronic unit

thank you.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 speed

at the risk of sounding like a noob....what is this zip kit? i thought i just replace solenoids.this looks like a very involved extra that requires opening the mechatronic unit

thank you.
Search the forum for sonnax zip kit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72