Transmission issue when cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been posting in the sonnx zip kit thread, but figured id bring my problem into my own thread.
My indy shop is suggesting that i have a bad clutch 2.

background...
I was getting a minor hard shift when cold, from 1-2

I rebuilt the valvebody with sonnax zip kit, new seals, new separator plate, new solenoids.

Truck now doesn't shift out of first. when letting off the gas, it engine brakes like no other. almost like slamming on the actual brakes. i also get mystery transmission fault on the dash, but no codes.

I had it towed to an indy shop. They say bad clutch 2. i told him i was surprised to hear that since the (big) issues didnt start until after i ****** with the valvebody. however, since the whole start of my project was a hard 1-2 shift, maybe i have compound problems, and clutch 2 was always my original problem of hard 1-2 shift?

currently authorized the shop for:
replace valve body. $2500
if that doesnt solve the problem, he told me he will rebuild the transmission for $5100, including a new valvebody. I will not be responsible for the original $2500 cost.

thoughts or opinions?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your indy actually look at it that quick or is he just guessing?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ideally they would take apart the VB and verify the Sonnax kit was installed correctly, before spending $2500 on a new VB, but I suspect they don't want to do that.

:(

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your indy actually look at it that quick or is he just guessing?
he looked at it yesterday. said he is getting no solenoid codes, which makes him to beleive the valvebody is OK.
he did say he is "seeing in real tiem that clutch 2 is having issues to shift". im guessing he is using diagnostic equipment to monitor everything.

The only reason he is offering to replace the valvebody first is since i told him the majority of problems didnt happen until afer i messed with the valvebody.

I figure i have nothing to really loose if the valvebody swap doesnt fix it. he will not charge me except for 1hr of diagnostic time.

Ideally they would take apart the VB and verify the Sonnax kit was installed correctly, before spending $2500 on a new VB, but I suspect they don't want to do that.

:(
yes, that would be ideal. but i may not be saving that much.
rebuild valve body takes time.
swap valvebody is fast.

not sure what their rebuild time would cost, but the remanufactured valve body is "only" $1400.
$2500 total - 1400 = $1100 for fluid and labor
$200 fluid
$900 labor ($125/hr) = ~7hrs

doesn't seem terrible.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he looked at it yesterday. said he is getting no solenoid codes, which makes him to beleive the valvebody is OK.
he did say he is "seeing in real tiem that clutch 2 is having issues to shift". im guessing he is using diagnostic equipment to monitor everything.

Sounds like the indy is applying some critical thought and diagnostic analysis into their recommendation and not just throwing parts (and your money) at it. That's what I look for when deciding who to trust. Also, would a dealership offer to roll in the cost of the VB swap if a trans rebuild was required after that? Rhetorical question.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call from the shop, it's fixed. $2500 total.

He replaced the valvebody. He didn't take it apart to actually see what I messed up. While I am curious, I also don't expect him to spend that time.

I won't be able to pick the truck up until tomorrow evening, but assuming it is actually fixed, I can't say enough good things about the shop. Between reasonable cost and fast service...I'm impressed.

I'll share their name after I pick up the truck and I know they did the work right. Maybe they'll be a good option for other NYC tri state people.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't quite buy the 'bad clutch' argument because if a clutch is bad, it usually slips but at least the gear engages. In this case, 2nd gear isn't even engaging. I think the rebuilt valve body is a smart move and will most likely fix this issue. Sorry you had to go through it.

Edit: just saw it's fixed. Happy to hear! Curious if you're willing to tear open your original valve body and try to figure out what happened.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if you're willing to tear open your original valve body and try to figure out what happened.

I will ask him for it tomorow if I can have it. I have a feeling he will want to keep it since these are rebuildable and there is a (significant) core charge.

If he let's me take it, I will tear it down, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for? If I knew what was wrong, I wouldn't have done it incorrectly in the first place, lol. Unless there is somthing obviously dislodged.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's always good to find a great indy shop. Here's hoping that your check ride goes well and the problem is fully resolved.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picked up my truck...she lives to fight another day!

all is fixed. the original hard shift into 2nd is gone, and the failed rebuild attempt on the valvebody is fixed (replaced).
I was not allowed to take the old valvebody in order to dissect it.

if anyone in the NYC tri-state area needs a shop, British Auto Works is the shop that took care of this. cant say enough good things. The owner, Carlos, was easy to work. Their hourly rate is $125/hr.
https://britishautoworks.org/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72