Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would you guys say are the most common transmission problems for 2012 hse with 110k+ miles?

And (if u happen to know) how much $$$ (roughly) does it take to fix those problems?

i got this light yesterday and i just want to have some idea of what to expect when i take the landy into the doc... :(
1D1D53C2-D949-47E1-8ABD-245A5B5EB188.jpeg

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to scan the car to get the fault codes. Preferably with IID tool or equal.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low alternator output and/or a weak battery could cause a dip in voltage from a sensor in the tranny. When my alternator went out i had a transmission fault. Then as it got worse later in the week i got other faults as well. Disconnect your negative cable from your car for an hour and then reconnect it. Check battery and alternator if its getting 13.5-14.5 volts. If you are getting those volts and the transmission fault comes back then it’s deff something with the transmission. If you don’t notice anything out of the norm in regards to shifting/drive ability i’d Rest assured your tranny is NOT toast and its deff something sensor/fluid related

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This give me ptsd of my still existing transmission fault code and gearbox fault code I get EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A “REBUILT TRANSMISSION.” Anyway I’ve basically read every single article on the zf6hp26 about every little thing. I need you to describe the issue and how it happened what gear it was shifting from so on. Have you gotten transmission fault before without an engine light or is this the first time. As of now I would guess it’s a faulty solenoid in the valve body. If it is only one faulty solenoid I’d say it shouldn’t be over 1k to fix if your mechanic is honest and doesn’t suggest a whole rebuild, but if there is more wrong then who knows. My advice for you right now would be to go to a trusted mechanic that you know will tell you the truth about cost and what’s wrong.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely read the codes. As was stated, low voltage is the Occam’s razor.

I’d next try checking your fluid level (truck running, on level ground, still cold). The fluid should be a steady stream, clean looking and not burnt.

if you’re low on fluid these transmissions are very picky with fluid levels. Make sure your topped up. Use zf fluid only. It’s expensive but the only thing that should go in there.

next, if that does not fix, I would try a fluid drain, pan swap, filter change, and new metal pan. At this point I would also suggest swapping the solenoids and putting new seals between the mechatronic unit and the transmission. The seals and solenoids are optional and would save a ton of frustration if you have to go back in.

if you don’t opt to do solenoids and seals and a fluid change doesn’t help, then you’ll need to go back in and do them. There will be lots of cursing at yourself for not doing them the first time. It is not a bad job, just messy and zf fluid isn’t cheap...

If solenoids and seals don’t fix the problem, sadly, your looking at a rebuild, a new trans, or a used. I found a low mileage used transmission on carpart.com for about $600. A rebuild was going to cost about 1600. Labor was about $1500.

For the $2100, I tapped out and opted to put in a used transmission (with all new fluids and Mechatronic seals). Have not had a problem since...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM