Transmission Temperature Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 disco, millage is unknown, but I have reconcile the while top end of the motor... Just to be short about the motor. The temperature sensor for the tranny has came on twice, today was the second time, as I pulled into town from a road trip , I was driving 70-75 and the temp sensor on instrament panel lit up.. I made it into town but then as soon as I stopped at a light my truck died.. pulled over to check out, the only smoke I saw was from the bottom of transmission... After cooling off , now she cranks but will not fire up.. found out that now I have no fire to plugs at all...
I'm thinking from the granny getting so hot that it was sent thru the plugs and fried the coil pack... Does anyone agree?? Because I have no fire now what so ever...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that will not start, is most likely not because the tranny was hot, you probably have a failing Crank position sensor, assuming your smoke was not coming from a burned wire harness.
As for your red light, have you checked the tranny fluid for the level and color, what color is the fluid and when was it last changed?

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The not starting issue I found out the fuse on the inside was blown .. the one for the motor spark, and one of the spark plug wires had been shorter out, it had touched the header, and burned, so I think that's what made the fuse blow....
As in the transmission, color is red , but unknown mileage on the transmission... When I pulled the truck , and yes I was just told don't pull a all wheel drive vehicle, we were only going maybe 5-7 miles, we drove thru parking lot.. so I'm hoping that the chain just came off in t-case, cause now I can not get it into gear, the t-case.... Do you understand what I'm trying to say mike..

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way , I went ahead and replace all spark plug wires , they were under warrenty and I replaced fuse, which gave me my spark back that I had lost... Should I still replace the crank sensor?

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey mike I found out what was smoking, theirs a plug on the side of granny, that's what melted.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want some help with this, PM me your number and I'll call you this afternoon.
By the way, you don't have a chain driven t/case, all gears.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635