Trip meter random resets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GWDRoverTX

Reaction score
I could not find any previous forums addressing this subject. Has anyone had a problem with both of their trip meters randomly resetting to 0? I usually reset them when I fill up with gas and have the range displayed on the message center. After I drive a couple of days and they have registered a good number of miles, I start it up and they both show 0.0 miles and the message center is displaying the clock. It sometimes happens when I start it up in the morning to go to work or it might happen in the evening when I leave the office.
I am wondering if this is the beginning of the end for my battery. Anybody have any ideas?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You aren't resetting the mpg calculator are you? I think they may be connected...

GWDRoverTX

Reaction score
Houm_WA,
Not sure exactly what you're referring to. I have a 2007 SE V8 with everything except the navigation pkg. When I fill up with gas, I usually push the trip meter button under the speedo/tach to reset it to 0, then I push the "i" button on the left stalk to reset it on the message center. In the past it would register the mileage until I did the same procedure. But now it just resets to 0 at random times. Yesterday I drove home from work and there were miles on both trip meters when I parked it for the night. Then this morning I started it up, did not hit any buttons, and the trip meters showed 0 miles.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah you can reset the mpg calculation using the stalk on the steering wheel, too. ...and when you do that, I believe it resets everything else, too.

Earing2008

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with the message center trip but I did notice that the main tripometer resets at random milages. I've tried to use the main tripometer as a milage per oil change but one random day around 3K miles I noticed it had reset itself. I definately have the symptoms but no explaination.

Talon_884

Reaction score
My LR3 just started to do this recently, any reason why it would randomly reset everything in the Message Center Display?

Earing2008

Reaction score
This has been an ongoing issue for me and I've got a battery test report that told me it was in great shape. Starting to sound like a cold case file here. :)

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only seen this once, and it happened twice in two days. The battery is bad. I replaced it, and no more problems.

I don't care what the battery test guy said, he said the same thing to me. And I told him, i've had this since 2005 and i've put 5 batteries in it, I know when the battery is bad. (I had some warranty left, hence the push back) After a little grumbling, he said he'd give me another pro-rated one (one month out of the replacement warranty) but he wouldn't change it for me. I said, fine, I brought my own tools. Changed it, took it home and cleaned the terminals, sealed it with 3m 1600 clear insulating spray, and down the road I go... for another two years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72