Two Last problems to fix...2002 Disco II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john65b

Reaction score
Hey all,

Bought my 2002 Disco II 4 years ago and just dealt with its shortcomings...problems were not major, as I got the truck at 50K miles, and cost me under 30% of the original purchase price 3 years earlier (what a hit, poor slob). That's was a nasty divorce can do I guess...

It was on consignment at local used car lot..I remember the dealer thought I was nuts for buying it on my United Airlines Visa. Where else can you get a 0% loan for 1/6 of a year, and get 13K frequent flier miles (1/2 a trip anywhere in the cont 48 states) all while buying a truck you always wanted? But I digress.

Anyway, issues were a stuck back tailgate, Wipers that won't move unless 2 minutes pass, Gear selector gets stuck in park, very scary braking, and musty smell in car. I guess this may have been enough for many of us to walk away, but not me...

As far as getting the truck out of park, I realize if I just start truck, pump the brakes until I hear the solenoid click, and away we go. Not a fix, but hasn't been an issue for three years. I remember my Ford-Loving neighbor laughing his butt off after seeing me stranded in my own driveway a week after buying it. Whatever.

Finally a month ago, after four years with the truck, I decided to put a little elbow grease and tackle the last remaining issues of my Disco II, after considering the $4500 Clunker deal. My wife thought it was a good deal to collect the $4500 for the Disco (which should be worth more than the $4500). I suggested she stick to gardening and leave the family finances to me. After spending the night on the couch, I got to work.

First was the tailgate. Drove me nuts. A little WD40 and that was it. Really feeling good now. I am on a roll. Next was the Smelly cab. Whenever the AC was on, I got a wet passenger side carpet. Researched a bit and found and unclogged the condensate ******* (it was NOT a hose - there was a hose I disconnected and got a face-full of pressurized GAS - I wondered what my wife would have done to me had I burned down the house trying to save a little money on a 7 year old truck). Anyway, the crap that came out of those ******* was something I hope to never see again.

So, the last two items - Brakes can be extremely HARD to depress and useless sometimes. I disconnected the 30A fuse for ABS, and seemed to brake better, but the warning lights on dash without the fuse was a non starter with the wife. Considering taking it to the dealer (ohnoes) as I cannot completely bleed brakes from the ABS without special machine. Don't wanna spend a fortune on a truck the wife wants to take behind the barn, so any ideas would be great. New pads all the way around, and had the brakes bled too. I hear that the ABS part of the brakes cannot be bled tho, so I am thinking this could be the culprit.

And lastly are the wipers. When you first start the car, they do not immediately come on until a couple minutes pass. I have been pulling the lever all the way down (manual fast wipe) until the auto-intermediate wipes can start. What gives here??

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Wipers is probably a dirty switch... or just plan going bad. The grease they use gets hard and not very conducive to electricity.

Brakes, are hard... first on the D2 you need that 30 amp fuse... sorry no ways around it.

Where are you located maybe we can help you with the brake issue.

john65b

Reaction score
I live just outside of Chicago.

I don't trust the stealerships. If anyone knows someone, or a dealership that worth going to, please let me know.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joey where's the wiper switch on a D-1? Been having that problem for years

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
it is the stalk assembly on the right side of the steering wheel.... 2 screens and it comes off... and 2 plugs IIRC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM