Unsettling Situation - Car shuts off on highway...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deanz

Reaction score
Earlier this evening, I was driving my 2005 LR3 HSE when the steering started to feel heavy. A few minutes later, it seemed even heavier, like the power steering was out. The dealership had put in a new power steering pump in the last time I had service, so I thought that the new pump might have just met its demise (just another day in the life of a devoted LR3 owner). I was driving at highway speeds, so it was manageable for me (probably not for my wife, if she were confronted with the same issue). Several miles of driving later the red car battery light on the dash switches on (the one w/ the + and - signs on it). The car also displays a message of "reduced performance." I notice that it seems like a few gears are not available and I can't drive over 50 MPH. I have my wife and two toddler children in the car and I'm started to get concerned, everything up until this point seemed manageable (for an experienced LR3 owner). As soon as I start getting concerned, the whole dash lights up like a Christmas Tree...Almost every conceivable light flashes on and the PRNDL indicator goes to "F," which I guess means FAULT, but I had another word in mind. I'm trying to find a place to pull over, even though I'm on I-95 in CT only a couple miles from home. Now the car shuts off completely - while I'm on the highway! Every light goes dead, the RPM and MPH meters go to zero and I can't even turn on the hazards. I keep to my plan to pull over and get to an exit off-ramp, now using considerable strength to manage the steering. Once I got the car to stop, I just sat there -confused and a bit shaken.

Does anyone know what happened here?

I've left a message for my LR Svc Dept and hope to get this issue fixed, but what I'm really worried about is that if my wife were driving (it's her car), she may not have been able to steer the vehicle, let alone pull-it over safely. It's hard to believe that an automobile could do such a thing, but my family's safety is what I'm most concerned about....Please advise...

davenport

Reaction score
Sounds typical. The LR3 seems to self-destruct when there is any problem. I've had almost every problem people have listed with my 2005 but no issues with the power steering.

It could have been something as simple as a bad fuse, that's the scary thing. As an experiment, I once removed a fuse to the gauges. The entire truck was crippled and would not start. Pretty amazing.

BELLROVER

Reaction score
dude it sounds like your alternator has failed, make sure you have the dealership test the battery when replacing the alternator. the reason your i pack lite up like a chrismas tree is dude to the control modules loosing their voltages. causing sensors to read incorrectley and the electronic engine fan to stay locked. let me know what happens?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad battery can also be a serious impact to any vehicle's electronics. Anyway, let the dealer check it out.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635