UPDATE - Gasoline Odor - Is This Dealership BS??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
PLEASE SKIP TO MY COMMENT (UPDATE) BELOW (8/19/22)

Not much to go on so far and no time to work the issue.

Leaving in 4 days to return truck and daughter to University. Good chance I will not see the vehicle again for 10+ months, and possibly significantly longer.
But will have 2,000 miles to trouble shoot, and can take to the dealership when we get there if necessary.

The Issue

Gasoline smell when parked immediately after filling up.
Smell seems strongest at the passenger wheel well.
Might or might not have been there previously, but seems to have started AFTER the the dealership completed the recall work - but let's not be hasty in that...

Smell goes away very quickly - drive for a few miles - exact number remains unknown, but likely something like 5 miles or so and then park, and no more smell.
Also seems (see below) (I need to confirm for myself) to go away after just sitting for a while - say overnight outside - where it's relatively "cool", here than means 80F.

Filled it, parked in my garage and plenty of gasoline smell.
Took it immediately to the dealership and it had 3 miles on it after the fill. Smelled of gasoline - they agreed.
They parked it outside overnight and upon inspection could no longer smell gasoline and cannot locate any issues.

It is NOT due to overfill.

When parked in my garage, the ambient temperature is likely in excess of 110F due to the summer heat and the heat load from the truck.
Is that level of heat causing something?

Any ideas on causes?

With a few days and a few fill ups to diagnose - any items specifically where I should be looking?

Many Thanks !

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe your talking about the fuel pump flange. They just issued a recall about it. I’ll link the forum.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% its fuel pump flange. Have the recall done.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Get it done soon. Fuel vapors are highly flammable. Not worth it, especially when there a recall on it.

Kristina

Reaction score
Sounds like they didn't get something right when doing the recall work. I would definitely go back to the dealer to have them double-check their work.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recall work was just done. I agree they messed something up. Same reason why I wouldn't do the recall unless I smelled gas. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To save the face of several of the posters here, I think OP edited the title after advice was given. If I recall correctly, the original post and title did not state the recall work had already been done.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Well, dealership cannot locate any issues, and after it sits for a bit, I agree there is no gasoline odor, but one hint....

Gasoline smell is only immediately after filling it up....

After filling it up and poking around a bit I have determined it is the fuel tank. There is a drain hole in the center bottom of the shroud, stick a finger up there and it’s gasoline on the loose..

Dealership dropped the tank and claims that the vehicle was "overfilled" and that the loose gasoline is coming from a vent pipe, that then drains out the shroud under the gas tank.

I know there are many components here - but anyone ever hear anything like this??

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the recall done?

Also when you fill up, do you let the pump automatically click off, and then “top off”?

If you do top off, don’t. It could be related to your issue. It’s not good for the evap system.

ElChuco

Reaction score
Since my recall work was done, I have a consistent problem with the tank overflowing when I fill up. I put the pump lever-handle on the lowest automatic setting, and before it automatically shuts itself off, a bit of gasoline overflows from the fuel intake opening. Never used to happen before having work done on the recall issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA