Updating Navigation Maps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPsLR

Reaction score
Is there a way to update the navigation maps in a 2006 LR3? Thanks

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Nav system in the LR3 is DVD based. The DVD is located under the driver's seat.

The way to update the maps is by replacing with a newer DVD. These are expensive if you go through the dealer. I've seen a few on eBay recently for well under $100.

However, the newer DVD's also contain a firmware update which will remove access to certain "diagnostic features". I won't go into that here, but you can search elsewhere on this forum if you feel that you need access to beyond what is in the owner's manual.

05lr3se

Reaction score
Be careful buying the Nav DVDs on EBay, as you might get an outdated map that someone pulled out when they bought the new DVD. Not saying the good DVDs aren't out there, but just be sure to check carefully. The updated DVDs seem to come out every 2 years, so the latest one available is the 2009-2010 version. If you look on the LR website, there are two versions, one that is the US and Canada and another one that also includes Mexico, so make sure you get the one you will need and don't spend extra money if you are not planning to road trip to Cancun.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOw do you know what map set you have installed currently? Honestly, I hate our Nav system. It's so counter intuitive compared to my little Garmin. I typically grab my garmin if I need a GPS. Part of this is due to how out of date our system appears to be, but recently I searched for a restaurant that has been there a LONG time and it couldn't find it.

I may save my money for an aftermarket system.

J.D.

05lr3se

Reaction score
The only way I know is to pull the disc and check the copyright date. I just updated my disc in my 2005 LR3 and the old version I pulled has a copyright date of 2004, so it has to be the discs that came in it when it was purchased new.

I agree, the nav isn't the best in the world and can be tough to figure out, but it does have some good off road features to keep you from getting lost in the woods. I haven't looked at the nav system in the new 2010 model, but it is supposed to have improved some.

Jschneiter

Reaction score
I just bought a useed 2008 LR3.. It sits in the drive next to my LR2.. I bought the updated Nav discs ($200 !!??) for the LR3. as the system is woefully out of date.. I updated the system in my LR2 and it was all pretty self explanatory.. On the LR3, not so much.. I located the disc drive ( I think) under the driver seat.. but there does not appear to be a door on it (like my LR2 has).. It is a Gray metal box with a some wires sticking out of it and no apparent way to opn it to insert the new expensive discs.. OK so what am I not seeing? On my LR2, it was all very obvious (except that one is under the passenger seat- no biggie).. Help ? !!

05lr3se

Reaction score
There are boxes under both the driver's seat and the passenger seat, but the DVD player for the nav is the box under the driver's seat. If you read the owner's manual, it will tell you that it is under the passenger seat......which is correct on the UK version, but not here. Anyway, the disc loads in the front. I've found it's easiest to move the driver's seat all the way forward and then reach back past the frame of the seat from the driver's floorboard. You have to slide the lock over to unlock it and then eject the old disc. Once its out, pop the new one in, MAKE SURE TO LOCK IT BACK, and you are good to go, except for the visit to the chiropractor that comes from crawling around in the floorboard and under the seat. I'd glance at the manual to get a sense of where the lock and eject buttons are, because they can be hard to see.

You'll have to through the nav system to set it up and save any preferences.

Jschneiter

Reaction score
There are boxes under both the driver's seat and the passenger seat, but the DVD player for the nav is the box under the driver's seat. If you read the owner's manual, it will tell you that it is under the passenger seat......which is correct on the UK version, but not here. Anyway, the disc loads in the front. I've found it's easiest to move the driver's seat all the way forward and then reach back past the frame of the seat from the driver's floorboard. You have to slide the lock over to unlock it and then eject the old disc. Once its out, pop the new one in, MAKE SURE TO LOCK IT BACK, and you are good to go, except for the visit to the chiropractor that comes from crawling around in the floorboard and under the seat. I'd glance at the manual to get a sense of where the lock and eject buttons are, because they can be hard to see.

You'll have to through the nav system to set it up and save any preferences.

OK.. I got a flash light & could not see any buttons at all... I DID find the drive, but no way to get it open... On my LR2, the disc drive faces aft, so when you move the seat forward, it's obvious..not so on the LR3. I plan on stopping at the dealership today to ask them to show me how it works on an LR3 on the lot.. (my wife needs hers..)
Thanks.. :ahhhhh:

Jschneiter

Reaction score
OK you said: "Anyway, the disc loads in the front".. so the front is toward the front of the vehicle? Because I have moved the drivers seat all the way forward & up as high as possible, How do I get to the "front" of the unit? I can't see it from the floor of the drivers seat (laying on the floor in front of the driver under the steering wheel) , and the back is not open. The drive in my LR2, faces aft.. so when the seat is far forward, it's easy to get to.. why oh why, I wonder would they "design" something so you can't get to it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90