Updating Navigation Maps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can explain to you how to get a DVD for pretty cheap. Send me a PM

Oh an all you Nav noobs... there's a trick called 1791. You can access it by doing this
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7209

If the DVD you have in the car is a 04/05 DVD it will work.
If the DVD you have is 06/07 or newer, it will never work due to software issues. Sorry! Don't ask why.

Generally the 1791 guide is:
2005 = 1791 Works
2006 = Most can, but check to see if you have the 06/07 DVD
2007 + = Won't work.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the driver seat all the way up and forward, on my Sport I find it a lot easier to get to the lock switch and eject button of the DVD drive by "feel" from behind the seat - is the area blocked behind the sat of the LR3?

Jschneiter

Reaction score
Here is the LINK from the LandRoverUSA website on how to update your Nav http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Dealers/Accessories/Overview.htm Just click on NAVTEQ

On a personally note all the instructional videos that LR has on the website are well down! I have learned a lot in just the last few weeks alone watching the video's.

I knew about that site.. That's how I ordered my update.. I stopped by the dealership, they said they would put the new disc in for free.. but I'm going to try to do it again today.. as I now understand that it is a "blind feel". So I expect that I will snake my fingers up under the front of the drivers seat and feel for the lock button.. Still system seems pretty unnecessarily idiotic... The unit in the LR2 is easy because you can see what you are doing.. :help:

05lr3se

Reaction score
OK you said: "Anyway, the disc loads in the front".. so the front is toward the front of the vehicle? Because I have moved the drivers seat all the way forward & up as high as possible, How do I get to the "front" of the unit? I can't see it from the floor of the drivers seat (laying on the floor in front of the driver under the steering wheel) , and the back is not open. The drive in my LR2, faces aft.. so when the seat is far forward, it's easy to get to.. why oh why, I wonder would they "design" something so you can't get to it?

Sorry its taken a few days to reply, but I've been blissfully offline for a little while. Yes, the unit faces towards the pedals, so you have to reach over the plastic trim piece on the front of the seat to get to the player. It is a hassle to switch it out, no doubt. Let us know if you are able to get to it.

Jschneiter

Reaction score
With the knowledge about where the front is, I was able to peek between the plastic pieces in front and based on what I know the unit looks like in my LR2, was able to guess about where the lock was and where the button is to get the disc to eject. I did so, and got the new one in. The one that came out (on my 2008 LR3) was copyright 2004, so that tells me that the data was no better that 2003 or at least 7 years old. Many changes around Boston since then (the Big Dig is responsible for that).. !
Thanks.

05lr3se

Reaction score
Glad you were able to get to it. When I got my LR3 used, the disc was not installed, but was in a CD case in the stack of stuff I got from the dealership (not a LR dealer). When I read in the manual that the player is under the passenger seat, I spent almost an hour trying to find it until I realized that the manual was written for the UK. I would have to say that the process you have to go through to update the nav system is by far the biggest desgin flaw.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just updated my DVD and took some pictures for anyone who might need a little help.

Remove front panel, it just snaps off:
P5170107.jpg

Move the seat all the way forward, and slide the button to "unlock"
P5170109.jpg

P5170110.jpg

hit the eject button and do everything in reverse when you put it back together.

10 minute job.

J.D.

maryd2myrvr

Reaction score
Spent about 15 minutes trying to get that stupid plastic cover off...after much "earmuff" language, the dealer told me to move the seat all the way forward and all the way up and accessing it was a snap. much easier than trying to ***** around looking for those snaps on the plastic cover...I know you would agree jesus man!!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really didn't have too much trouble snapping the front cover off, but I have always done my own work when I can, and have had lots of practice with these clips. And knowing where they are helps out a lot!

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90