Urban Offroad Racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you're taking pics, if it's not a problem, please take one from the side (or back). I'd like to see the size of the gap between the sides of the roof rack (where they drop down) and the top of the roof. I know you mentioned about an inch between rack and rail, but since the rack seems to angle down on the sides I was wondering if that gap to the roof was about an inch as well.

Thanks.
Hey LR34,

I am looking forward to seeing more pictures as well, but I have been talking with Derek and I really like the quality of his work. I am not sure where you live, but he also offers free installation.

I am going with his roof rack, ladder, and likely steps/sliders.

-David

LR34

Reaction score
Hey LR34,

I am looking forward to seeing more pictures as well, but I have been talking with Derek and I really like the quality of his work. I am not sure where you live, but he also offers free installation.

I am going with his roof rack, ladder, and likely steps/sliders.

-David

Thanks, I am too far away, but I installed his sliders with outriggers/steps this weekend and they were definitely high quality and a straightforward install. I will probably order the platform half rack next.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I am too far away, but I installed his sliders with outriggers/steps this weekend and they were definitely high quality and a straightforward install. I will probably order the platform half rack next.
Thanks!

Could you post pictures of the sliders - I'd love to see more photos of them installed. I see there are various version available (all $699.00 I think) - which ones did you get?

Also, I think his sliders take into account the different compressor used in the 2013 models. My sliders do not go as far into the underbody of the truck as his, so mine might fit. I was hoping to be able to transfer my slider/steps from my current LR4 to the new one (when it arrives) - and if needed, use the body molding on the new truck.

Since you just did the install, do you think you can salvage the body molding once you rip it off to install the sliders?

-David

LR34

Reaction score
Thanks!

Could you post pictures of the sliders - I'd love to see more photos of them installed. I see there are various version available (all $699.00 I think) - which ones did you get?
Since you just did the install, do you think you can salvage the body molding once you rip it off to install the sliders?

-David

I purchased the sliders called "URBAN OFFROAD VENGEANCE SERIES SILL GUARDS (SLIDERS) WITH 45/90 OUTRIGGERS". If you search "sliders 45/90" on his site and scroll down you will see them listed ($699). I took a quick pic after install and it's the pic used on his site (only pic I have currently). I have 2013 HSE and no issues with air compressor during install. Sliders basically covered bottom sill up to the compressor. The "steps' basically come out starting from the front of front door all the way back to rear wheel well. So the a small portion of sill is uncovered behind front wheel well (a few inches), but I have mud guards so that is the coverage I was looking for.

As far as reusing the plastic rocker panel molding, it should be possible if your current LR4 has same type & location of fasteners. The only potential issue are the "snaps" along the top of the molding. If your current LR4 still has snaps attached, the new molding should snap back on. I tried to remove snap/fasteners attached to body, but the only way to get them out is to break them, so mine are still on (well most are, a few broke off when installing sliders). The bottom of the plastic panel has standard body fasteners that removed cleanly and should not have an issue being reinstalled.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the sliders called "URBAN OFFROAD VENGEANCE SERIES SILL GUARDS (SLIDERS) WITH 45/90 OUTRIGGERS". If you search "sliders 45/90" on his site and scroll down you will see them listed ($699). I took a quick pic after install and it's the pic used on his site (only pic I have currently). I have 2013 HSE and no issues with air compressor during install. Sliders basically covered bottom sill up to the compressor. The "steps' basically come out starting from the front of front door all the way back to rear wheel well. So the a small portion of sill is uncovered behind front wheel well (a few inches), but I have mud guards so that is the coverage I was looking for.

As far as reusing the plastic rocker panel molding, it should be possible if your current LR4 has same type & location of fasteners. The only potential issue are the "snaps" along the top of the molding. If your current LR4 still has snaps attached, the new molding should snap back on. I tried to remove snap/fasteners attached to body, but the only way to get them out is to break them, so mine are still on (well most are, a few broke off when installing sliders). The bottom of the plastic panel has standard body fasteners that removed cleanly and should not have an issue being reinstalled.
Thanks, LR34!

Very helpful. As part of my agreement with the dealership, they are going to transfer over the slider/steps if possible and will assess that when I get the new LR4. Though, I may actually just go ahead and get the new sliders/steps since they seem to offer better protection.

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered voyagerracks.com? I gave them a call today. I am looking at a rack and the sliders they make.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered voyagerracks.com? I gave them a call today. I am looking at a rack and the sliders they make.
Hey mbw,

Yes, I have their half rack and ladder. The rack is nice, but I had a few issues with their shipment and I do not recommend the ladder (it doesn't sit flush on the latch housing and needs some modification).

Also, I am not sure how far inward their sliders go, but with the 2013 you have to be careful because the air compressor is different than previous years.

The Voyager racks are nice if you do not have short or long rails installed - these racks bolt directly to the stock holes. If you go with Voyager, do NOT get the wind fairing - it's terrible. I had to create a new one.

-David

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had a decent day, a few minutes to myself and the camera...

This is the urban half rack. It fits very tight if not right against the outside of the rails. As you can tell, I mounted it as far back as possible with the rover ladder setup (tailgate up) and it is actually lower than the sat/nav antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_5668.jpg
    IMG_5668.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5674.jpg
    IMG_5674.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5676.jpg
    IMG_5676.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5670.jpg
    IMG_5670.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5669.jpg
    IMG_5669.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 110

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had a decent day, a few minutes to myself and the camera...

This is the urban half rack. It fits very tight if not right against the outside of the rails. As you can tell, I mounted it as far back as possible with the rover ladder setup (tailgate up) and it is actually lower than the sat/nav antenna.
Hey NASdiesel,

Thank you so much for posting these pictures - it was very helpful for me. Derek at Urban Offroad told me that all of his rack have the same flooring, so I was really happy to see a good picture of the flooring. It looks a lot like my Voyager rack and will accommodate the chicken coop flooring quite well.

As I said in my previous posts, I am planning to go with the full-length rack. I also notice that you have the full-length roof rails - do you feel as though the rack is really secure? Do you know how much weight it can hold?

I'd love your overall impressions of the rack - especially what you thought of the mounting hardware, etc.

I have to say, it looks really well-made and quite nice.

Last question - did you get your ladder from Urban Offroad? I think he carries the OEM ladder.

I live about 3 hours away from his shop, so when I get my new LR4, he is going to mount everything for me for free.

-David

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, was long overdue to get those up. The quality of the rack is excellent. Mine had some slight damage to the powder coat (which is also quite good) from shipping. Otherwise, the welds are excellent and ground down cleanly.

The hardware is pretty simple. Stainless blanks with a bolt welded in. I haven't had too much up there other than some lumber say can't really say how long term solid it is. But does the job.

I didn't buy the ladder at Urban but if he has the LR stock version, it's the same for LR3/4. I like it though my only gripe is that it started rusting at the plate section (picture). I find this funny in that it seems every LR ladder I've ever owned (2-DII's, d-90) has had some factory fault. I will likely warranty it at some point soon. Just appears they didn't get the powdercoat in far enough when finishing.

Attachments

• IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members