Urban Offroad Racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the wind deflector. The howling is pretty severe with the Urban half rack. This just seems to be a fact of life with most racks anyway so I can't blame the design by any means. My Safety Devices d-90 rack howled as well until I put a full length floor on it.

So by no specific design other than referencing the front runner deflector and reviewing how air flow needs to be broken up going around the rack to prevent the howling noise, I came up with a deflector that seems to be working in test form, quite well (I call this design by dumb luck).

Anyway, had a piece of 5052 aluminum, .125" in thickness, 42"wide X 18" long with a 30 degree bend in either direction, on the long ends. I've temporarily mounted it using clamps but will in the final form, drill nutserts into the rack bars themselves to clean it up. Anyway, the howling with this deflector is no more. There is some wind noise (buffeting type) above 70-75. But it is minimal at best. The only current issue I have is that the size and position of the rack and deflector means it largely covers the middle moonroof. So I'm going to have a smaller version, probably 8-10 inches in width, cut and bent to test to determine if the length of the deflector has any bearing on the wind noise.

So I'll update as it progresses. Once I confirm the size of the deflector, I plan to add the nutserts for mounting and powdercoat it in black like the rack.

Questions or recommendations welcome... :biggrin:

Edit: Fixed picture upload...

Attachments

• IMG_5997.jpg
    IMG_5997.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5998.jpg
    IMG_5998.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5999.jpg
    IMG_5999.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6000.jpg
    IMG_6000.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6002.jpg
    IMG_6002.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey NASdiesel - great post... Thanks!

I am curious to see the wind noise on the full-sized Urban rack that I ordered for my new 2013. I plan to install flooring, so hopefully that will help. My current rack is pretty noisy, but I got used to it.

-David

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might consider this if the flooring doesn't help. I'm really impressed with how much it helps.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks great. Definitely interested in what happens if you shorten the piece! I am son on the fence about a rack due to wind/gas and load weight....

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the wind deflector. The howling is pretty severe with the Urban half rack. This just seems to be a fact of life with most racks anyway so I can't blame the design by any means. My Safety Devices d-90 rack howled as well until I put a full length floor on it.

So by no specific design other than referencing the front runner deflector and reviewing how air flow needs to be broken up going around the rack to prevent the howling noise, I came up with a deflector that seems to be working in test form, quite well (I call this design by dumb luck).

Anyway, had a piece of 5052 aluminum, .125" in thickness, 42"wide X 18" long with a 30 degree bend in either direction, on the long ends. I've temporarily mounted it using clamps but will in the final form, drill nutserts into the rack bars themselves to clean it up. Anyway, the howling with this deflector is no more. There is some wind noise (buffeting type) above 70-75. But it is minimal at best. The only current issue I have is that the size and position of the rack and deflector means it largely covers the middle moonroof. So I'm going to have a smaller version, probably 8-10 inches in width, cut and bent to test to determine if the length of the deflector has any bearing on the wind noise.

So I'll update as it progresses. Once I confirm the size of the deflector, I plan to add the nutserts for mounting and powdercoat it in black like the rack.

Questions or recommendations welcome... :biggrin:

Edit: Fixed picture upload...
Hey NASDiesel,

I wanted to bump this thread a bit. How is it going with your wind fairing? I think because I have a full length rack, I may need to explore a few different options. I plan to install the flooring next week, so let's see how that cuts down the howling. I also may try the pipe insulation tube/foam in the front. I don't think I can do your trick above, as my rack goes to the front of the roof - just above the windshield.

Any further suggestions? I may try this out, as the guy at a local rack shop said they work well:

http://www.rei.com/product/618464/yakima-windjammer

I just don't want to obstruct where I would be putting the driving lights.

-David

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you ask David, I have a piece of 10"x42" 5052 aluminum waiting to be mounted. It cost $46 for sheet and two bends from the local metal shop. I'll get it on the rack tomorrow morning and test it to let you know. If it does as good a job as my larger wind fairing (pics above), I would say you are crazy to not let me send you one to try in lieu of foam (ack!) or one of those other fairing choices...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you ask David, I have a piece of 10"x42" 5052 aluminum waiting to be mounted. It cost $46 for sheet and two bends from the local metal shop. I'll get it on the rack tomorrow morning and test it to let you know. If it does as good a job as my larger wind fairing (pics above), I would say you are crazy to not let me send you one to try in lieu of foam (ack!) or one of those other fairing choices...

Awesome! Let me know. I would be happy to pay you for anything.

The only thing I wonder about is that the front of my rack is curved a bit? Oh wait, I would imagine this will go toward the back to the first bar going across, not in the very front. Right?

Keep me posted.

-David

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you take a close up? I looked at your other thread, other than the 2nd level of the rack, I'm not sure I see anything else? Or is that what you mean?

If that were the issue, I'd start by buying a piece of cut lexan, drill a few holes, zip tie and test. IF that is the issue (space between floor of rack and retaining/side), then you could have something cut and mounted much cheaper than anything else that would be ill fitting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM