V8 LR4 - Ticking Noise at Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 HSE which had a similar sound. The sound went away once we replaced the fuel injectors and HPFPs. But this was at 205k miles, so the sound wasn't the only thing wrong (some injectors were fouled and the HPFPs were leaking into the block). Now it runs like a new engine again.

Still on your original tensioners, guides and chains?

afour_98

Reaction score
Still on your original tensioners, guides and chains?

to be honest, I can't remember having them ever done. The dealer might have done it when it was still under warranty, but that was years ago and I don't remember.

HCF_CUSTOMS

Reaction score
Have a 2012 Range Rover I just bought. Did the timing chain repair, water pump, and front cooling tube "proactively ". Great experience at Autobahn Land Rover in Fort Worth, TX. Outstanding service and most competitive price for repair in state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2012 Range Rover I just bought. Did the timing chain repair, water pump, and front cooling tube "proactively ". Great experience at Autobahn Land Rover in Fort Worth, TX. Outstanding service and most competitive price for repair in state.

What did you pay, if I may ask?

I'm close enough to Fort Worth that it could be an option for me.

I don't have any symptoms, but I have contemplated having it done, or doing it myself just to have it crossed off of my list.

HCF_CUSTOMS

Reaction score
Would rather not say. Call Joe in service. All 3 repairs were done significantly less than Austin, Boerne or Dallas...and done well. I was impressed.

HCF_CUSTOMS

Reaction score
I had no symptoms either. Just an investment in the future reliability of the Rover.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking fan clutch as well. Replaced mine around 90K miles and that noise was gone.
The noise seems tied to engine RPM, not fan or clutch RPM. Easy test would be to remove the serpentine belt(s) and fire up the engine. If the noise is gone, you know it's something external.

o_O

juanfpg

Reaction score
Mostly apparent when the vehicle is cold. It is less noticeable when the vehicle is warm.

Timing chain guides have not been done. The truck is a 2012 LR4 HSE Luxury Limited with all options including HD package and rear seat entertainment. It took me a while to find one with all these options so I'm hoping the engine isn't about to go or something!

It has only 67,000km (41k miles) on it and it was just serviced at an LR specialty shop using OEM or better fluids etc.

juanfpg

Reaction score
Mine makes the same noise. I have 2012 RR sport HSE 5.0l with 115k miles. Don't know if chain/guides/tensioners were done.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut