Valve Cover to Ram Housing Hose (ERR4258)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
I just got back from replacing the radiator cap on another Rover and I thought I might look inside my engine when I got home. You know-- paranoia.

I looked over at my Valve Cover to Ram Housing Hose (ER4258) and it looked like a flat worm. The Ram Hsg was drawing in but nothing was passing through.

Is this normal?

And what is that black thing sticking out of the other hole?

The hose was replaced two years ago, but apparently is not drawing air or does it?

AB has it listed as:

OIL SEPARATOR - VALVE COVER - 4.0 ENGINE
Item: LLJ000010

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That hose doesn't last long... I installed a silicone hose 3 years ago and it still looks like new.

If you are talking the hose on the passenger side (didn't sleep well) then that is basically the PVC valve, which is a royal pain to change, so don't brake it.

Mark

Reaction score
I guess I could 'clean' the oil seperator with contact cleaner and hope it unclogs the hole. Or I could spray Seamfoam into the hole and hope that will clean it out.

Yes this is the hose on the passenger side and is three years old.

How would you pull that piece of plastic out. From an image at AB, the oil seperator appears to be as long as the tube popping out of the valve cover.

Mark

Reaction score
While the engine was cold, I was able to remove the oil seperator. The seperator was a gunked up with oil sludge so I sprayed down with Seafoam and wire brushed the edges and reinstalled. The hose still collapsed.

Instead of the LR hose I went and built one fro two other sized hoses and hose clamped together and used an electric wrap to secure to the Ram Hsg ****** and went for a 10 minute drive.

Error code 1316 showed up while I had the hoses disconnected and cleared with the scanner.

Question: if the sludge was on the seperator is that a sign of sludge buildup in the valve area or will pouring seafoam into the hole help?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you may have some sludge starting to build up... run a can of seafoam in the engine for the last 50 miles or so of you next oil change.

Mark

Reaction score
Even if I ran Seafoam through how will Seafoam affect the passenger side valve cover?

I am assuming that the fumes from the passenger side was vented by vacuum to the ram and consumed in combustion. What if I just allowed the fumes to vent? WIll that, eventually, burn out the sludge via fumes?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not only can you run it through the vacuum line (which basically puts it into the air/fuel mixture) you can also add to the engine oil... my reference above about the last 50 miles of the oil change. It will help get rid of any sludge or oil build up in the engine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4