Vibration when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

FLLR3

I have the same problem between 65-70 mph and discussed with the service manager my concerns that it was mechanical in nature and not software driven since it occurs only at this speed. They finally updated the transmission software on my 05 LR3 SE V8 to take care of the lurching from a stop/rolling stop (after taking it in two different times) but each time they said the software update would also cure this issue. It hasn't. I am going to take it again, probably in a few weeks, since I'm tired of being in the shop.

Problems since new for an 05 LR3 SE with all the bells and whistles.

1. Replacement of 4 (yes four) suspension compressors and one control module.
2. Replaced Radio due to white noise on AUX channel.
3. Replace steering wheel due to damaged leather starting at top of wheel.
4. Clogged A-pillar drains led to leaking through center and passenger sun visor.
5. Replaced coolant tank and sensor (coolant failure)
6. Replaced three sets of wiper blades (must be that Florida sun) and dealer made me pay for all of them ($91 per change for parts only)
7. Very poor wearing tires that need replacing now at 20K with heavy inside tread wear. I had tires rotated (my cost) at each service interval and I am not a hard driver.
8. Rattle in back that I can't find, hope that they can find it at next warranty service

I enjoy the vehicle when I can drive it and also when I am not going between 65-75 miles/hour. I wonder if the issue might be valve related? Any guesses out there?

H

Houm_WA

Why don't you get a new vehicle? Seems to me you'd easily qualify for the Lemon Law...

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your dealer sucks. Most of these are known issues, and should be fixed.

Tire wear: There is a TSB with new alignment spec. LRNA will buy you 1 new tire. They also gave me $300 credit because I was paying for rotations/alignments too.
Rattle in back: Also part of an update program for '05s, something about tightening a strut on the rear door.
Wiper blades: Should be covered. I got a free set when replacement was needed.
Compressor: Known issue with the '05s. I'm on my 3rd one (original failed, and was replaced. My dealer then replaced the replacement last month "just in case" to be sure I had the most updated compressor and controller)
Coolant tank/sensor also a known issue.

Too bad they aren't more proactive for you, to fix these in advance.

combee1

Reaction score
FLLR3 said:
I have the same problem between 65-70 mph and discussed with the service manager my concerns that it was mechanical in nature and not software driven since it occurs only at this speed. They finally updated the transmission software on my 05 LR3 SE V8 to take care of the lurching from a stop/rolling stop (after taking it in two different times) but each time they said the software update would also cure this issue. It hasn't. I am going to take it again, probably in a few weeks, since I'm tired of being in the shop.

Problems since new for an 05 LR3 SE with all the bells and whistles.

1. Replacement of 4 (yes four) suspension compressors and one control module.
2. Replaced Radio due to white noise on AUX channel.
3. Replace steering wheel due to damaged leather starting at top of wheel.
4. Clogged A-pillar drains led to leaking through center and passenger sun visor.
5. Replaced coolant tank and sensor (coolant failure)
6. Replaced three sets of wiper blades (must be that Florida sun) and dealer made me pay for all of them ($91 per change for parts only)
7. Very poor wearing tires that need replacing now at 20K with heavy inside tread wear. I had tires rotated (my cost) at each service interval and I am not a hard driver.
8. Rattle in back that I can't find, hope that they can find it at next warranty service

I enjoy the vehicle when I can drive it and also when I am not going between 65-75 miles/hour. I wonder if the issue might be valve related? Any guesses out there?

FLLR3... Your dealer wouldn't happen to be Matheny in Jacksonville would it?

rsm

Reaction score
Michael99:

Mine does not do it in sport mode either. That has to be the answer. What is different in the transmission at those speeds in sport mode than is happening in regular automatic mode??

Michael99b

Reaction score
rsm:

When in sport mode, the trans does not ever shift into 6th gear, thus the rpm's are always higher. The issue only happens in sixth gear, when the rpm's are about 2100. I'll let you know if they ever fix it.

sunlion

Reaction score
I've also had the same condition on my 05 LR3. LR Bellevue, Wa has stated it is a software problem, have reset an d updated the software which fixes the problem for 1 month or so but it then recurrs. I believe that its a 6th gear problem. This gear cannot handle the load of accletating at 65-75mhp, especially on an incline, and the transmission needs a more vigorous input to downshift. The funny thing, is my wife does not feel this vibration.

rsm

Reaction score
Sunlion:

That is strange that a software update fixes it, but only temporarily? If that is the case it definitely must be electronic in nature, not a defective part, or misled fuel line, etc. Other than this quirk, my car has been absolutley flawless so I am at a quandry as to whether to live in sport mode or have the LR techs look at it and experience 10 new problems.

rsm

Reaction score
Not yet, but I have noticed it is not occurring like it used to. Go figure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV