VIDEO: LR3 Front and Center Console Removal and HAM Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HAM Antenna I am using is pretty flexible actually and doesn't require a spring mount. I took it through bushes once and it flexed nicely without damaging it. Added a spring base for CB Antenna now as it was too rigid. Got a nice one that doesn't flop around on highway speeds but flexes well under stress.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, no luck finding that exact mount... :( Boy it is the perfect solution though... I have found nothing else like it.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tlt:

If you like I can go find those mounts from the store here and ship them to you? Let me know. Also I will attach pics here for how I did the mount drills etc.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a generous offer. That would be great, then I will know it is precisely the right one.

I am curious, as you cannot make it out in the picture, how is it attached to the roof rail.

I will PM you my e-mail address.

Thanks

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be important to note for anyone else wanting to install a HAM antenna or CB, that the roof rail is not grounded. You will need to run a ground strap to the body. I am going to post a couple of pictures later.

If you don't have a good antenna ground, you may have problems High SWR or other issues as a result.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tlt: what kind of problems would that be? Interested to rectify it if need be. So far both of my radios are running and operating just fine.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what antenna you are using. I'm using a FT-897 with an ATAS-120a. It would not tune, until I grounded it properly. Also, I was a bit curious about how the lack of a metal roof effects the ground plane.

In any event, the documentation on the antenna, and everything I have read suggests strongly in properly grounding the radio and antenna. One nice thing I noticed the way I wired it all up, there is absolutely no feedback from electronics, engine noise or anything. I had read that a couple of folks had issues, with radios tripping various sensors, though I haven't done much transmitting at this stage.

The radio will pick up noise from a **** eater running a block away, but no engine noise, so that's a good thing.

An example, on having read quite a bit about properly setting up the rig.

http://www.diamondantenna.net/Product_Catalog/HFmobiletips.html

I ran a strap from the antenna base, folded and tucked under the roof rail, tacked with silicon seal to hold it in place. Then ran it under the plastic end cap, toward the rear of the vehicle. Then I put another corner fold on it, and ran it to the left grounding strap under the rear upper door. (There are two grounding straps running to the rear door, one on the left and one on the right.

What Antenna are you running?

Last edited:

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never faced any of the issues with interference and tuning etc. at all since the install. No tripping of any sensors either. All went smooth and everything works just fine. I was planning on grounding too but it appeared to have been a non-issue so I skipped that part.

Here is my setup:

HAM: Yaesu FT2900R
Antenna: Diamond 2M Dual band Radial-less NR770HB

CB: Cobra 19 ULTRA III
Antenna: Vanco Model VAN200B

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4