Voltmeter / USB charge port install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and yes.

A fully charged healthy battery should be about 12.6 with the engine off. When I climb into my truck, mine is reading about 11- which means I am looking for a new battery. The jump to 14+ when driving means your alternator is functioning well. 17+ and your voltage regulator is going out- and you are about to be buying a LOT of bulbs if you don't fix it.

Mike

eli4x4

Reaction score
Mike - I just did the same thing but the unit was not working... it blinked for a bit and then stopped. any ideas why?

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be easy to diagnose. Try putting another device in the receptacle to see if it’s working. If it is then it’s the little plug-in voltmeter that’s at fault. You can also switch the voltmeter to the other receptacle and see if that works.

Frank

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the full install of the plug I installed, or one that plugs into the stock 12v receptacle? If you did it like mine, you might have the wires backwards..

Mike

eli4x4

Reaction score
Full plug install
Looking at your last picture Mike It was wired incorrectly - which i think was my problem. Now it's good but the plug is not working...

2018-01-28 10.13.56.jpg

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let figure out if you still have power there- I'm hoping you blew a fuse.. Are you familiar with how to use a multimeter? I'd check to make sure you still have 12v at those connectors..

Another way to check is to plug in the old 12v socket that was originally in the car and see if any accessories work in it. If not, you blew a fuse. If it functions, you have power to the unit... Which means you cooked the new plug when wiring it backwards (we've all done it), and you are now about to pay the cheapest LR repair bill in history: $15 for a new USB plug.

Keep us up to date on it, and good luck!

Mike

eli4x4

Reaction score
I checked the fuses - and they were good (both 20's), I have a feeling I may had cooked the plug. I'll check and let you know.
Thanks again

Eli

eli4x4

Reaction score
UPDATE
Mike and Frank - thanks again for the help, you learn new things every day.
I may have cooked the old plug I don't really know, It never really worked correctly, but after ordering a new plug and testing it with the new (and improved) wiring - it works.
Also I thought i checked all the fuses, but I did miss one (20 - see pics), I guess with all the playing around i cooked that as well. All and all, easy install I did have some frustrating moments but... I have to say - the plug looks good and it works.

2018-02-05 17.58.54.jpg

2018-02-05 17.25.41.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM