Voyager Half-Rack Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you could. Stick with Lincoln or Miller welders and you'll do fine. Add to the list of tools an abrasive cut-off saw, a hand grinder and grinding wheels, a tubing bender, a welding helmet and gloves, etc. And don't forget that trip to the powder coater.

Thanks for advise - I don't know anything about welding machines, even if I tried it ones. :)
Rest of the tools I have - love tools! Well, not a tubing bender... but I am not buying it anyhow - will figure something out... Now I am excited!

... powder coating... ghm... need to do a research... do I need it if right materials used?

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Thanks for advise - I don't know anything about welding machines, even if I tried it ones. :)
Rest of the tools I have - love tools! Well, not a tubing bender... but I am not buying it anyhow - will figure something out... Now I am excited!

... powder coating... ghm... need to do a research... do I need it if right materials used?
Well, for a person with little or no welding experience, you should stick to MIG welding and steel. The learning curve for TIG welding and aluminum or stainless is MUCH steeper. Stick welding is dirty and takes more technique than MIG. Also, decent MIG machines can be had that run on 120 volts (I'm assuming you're in the U.S.)

The best protection for steel is powder coating. If I were making a rack or my own bumpers or rock sliders, I would certainly have them powder coated. If you built a rack you could simply paint it, but you would have to keep after it, periodically repainting it.

Bumblefk

Reaction score

Bumblefk

Reaction score
I have a voyager slim line with a wind faring. The noise was obnoxious. Easy fix is a pool noodle wedged between wind faring and roof of vehicle. Another trick is to wrap binge cords around the bars to break up the wind as it passes over the bars

Attachments

• 63A96808-0F5C-4681-83DB-99C8DAFB96DB.jpeg
    63A96808-0F5C-4681-83DB-99C8DAFB96DB.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 45
  • F5378FD7-1E43-450E-AF18-28C8E02CB94A.jpeg
    F5378FD7-1E43-450E-AF18-28C8E02CB94A.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 41

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the slimline full length and paid extra for the fiberglass wrap-around faring and the wind noise went down considerably from the stock sheet metal faring. I also did the pool noodle trick. So far... so good...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA