Washing the Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent a few minutes in some puddles a few months back and was wondering the best way to clean off the mud can i take a hose to it or can i do some damage ?

D

disco1

Yes you can wash it but you need to do a number of things. You need to spray all electrical connections with WD40 or similar water dispersant. Spray around all spark plug boots, distributor if you have one, coil/s. Then cover your distributor (if you have one), as well as, the alternator, with a plastic bag etc,. Cover the intake nozzle on your air cleaner also
I would then spray around engine degreaser (you will know where it needs to go), and allow it to soak for 5-10 minutes, or the recommended period shown on the can.

Start your motor and hose or pressure clean, after the degreaser rest period. Spray/hose completely, but stay away as much as possible from the covered areas. Leave your motor running for 10-15 minutes to allow complete drying.
Hope this helps.

ericksd

Reaction score
oooops!

I took a good size dip over the weekend and then took it to the quarter car wash last night and just hosed it all off (99 D2).

I didn't cover anything up, but it started back up again ok. Hope didn't screw anything up.

This was the second time I did it (also hosed it real good after replacing the radiator).

Dan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4