water flowing noise behind dash onUK 2002 disco 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhdt

Reaction score
I have just got a disco 2 (2002) UK Spec
when driving it a water flowing noise is coming from behind the dash area, I am assuming that its possibly an air lock in the coolant system, the heaters work fine and the car does not overheat,
can you direct me to a good clip of how to bleed the system as don't want to **** it up. I have heard that to raise the coolant bottle up high and then release the screw on the top hose till the air comes out and keep topping the bottle up at the same time with engine running.
can anyone confirm or direct me to a good YouTube clip in English please,
regards Dave

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When cold, remove the coolant cap and the bleed screw, fill the coolant bottle until you get a steady stream of coolant from the bleed hole, replace the screw and cap drive it for a couple miles, then let it sit till cooled off the top of the coolant bottle.
A little drop of coolant is normal after a day of driving, if it keeps dropping then you will need to do a coolant pressure test to find the leak, then fix it.
Do this ASAP so you don't over heat the engine.

monomania

Reaction score
Had the same noise and Mikes right wish I got this advice first

Disco Mikes the man I have been reading his posts for a while before actually joining.

I was having the same issue with the noise behind the passenger side dash of my LHD 2001 Disco II and sure enough as mike said I had a leak in the coolant system that was hard to detect without the pressure test. apparently air got in and the pressure when down and swish-swish.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is very important to have tested and repaired before you over heat your engine.

monomania

Reaction score
repercussions for over heat

To Late mine already over heated far from my house and I got caught in a hillbilly speed trap. what happened next was posted in another thread. I got the car back from the very unscrupulous shop and it has been completely sabotaged. I haven't gotten to fully look it over yet but, right out the gate I can tell there is fuses missing. I believe fan control 45 and 30 amp. the hose to water pump is cut. I have an insurance guy coming to look at it tomorrow but I don't think there going to help. I might be stuck with it. I am worried about the trans and fuel lines. I was hoping you would catch the thread and suggest a course of action on flushing the systems out? This model is already prone to liner slip from what I understand. I'm sure the over heat doesn't help.
"2001 disco series II se7"