Water Pump Replacement - Preemptive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKB1

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I bought a 2013 LR4 a year ago with 67k miles, now at 72k. I’ve been reading a lot about common issues and seems like the water pump is up there when getting towards this level of mileage. I haven’t had any temp/radiator issues or noticed coolant leaks so far, but is it worth preemptively replacing the water pump, rods, and thermostat to avoid what seems like the inevitable at this point?

Thanks

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed, and just as important are the crossover pipes (especially the front). These 2 items are the most common assassins of our motors, and there are a lot of good threads out there on how to replace. Preemptive replacement? Yes, yes, and yes.

IMO, your mileage is in the target zone. Go get some OEM parts, and have at it..

MP

KKB1

Reaction score
Indeed, and just as important are the crossover pipes (especially the front). These 2 items are the most common assassins of our motors, and there are a lot of good threads out there on how to replace. Preemptive replacement? Yes, yes, and yes.

IMO, your mileage is in the target zone. Go get some OEM parts, and have at it..

MP
Thanks, Pfunk. Yes, sorry, by "rods" I meant crossover "pipes". Appreciate it.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I just finished my 2013 at 90K miles. It had a small very slow leak at the gasket/o-ring from the water pump to the oil cooler tube- the new parts are redesigned with a much more robust design. Everything else looked very good, but since I was in there I did everything - it's a grand case of "you might as well". It's the deepest I have been been into this engine so far - lots of little tricks - of course!

I did video everything and since this is an active area of discussion I will put that together in the next couple of weeks.
I will post on this forum and on YouTube.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely replace the front crossover and rear heater manifold pipes. Personally I wouldn't bother with the water pump until it develops a slow leak. You can do the pipes without touching the water pump, so you are not saving any effort by doing all at once.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if you have the manifold propped up or off you can replace the water pump without removing the stretch belt or removing fan. You only need to temp pull off the serpentine belt and tensioner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA