Water Pump Weeping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
I have a 1997 LR Discovery LSE. I am wondering if it is normal for the water pump to weep coolant, over time, through the weep hole. I never see any leakage on the ground but I did see some clean coolant on the inside of the fan shroud when I took the top shroud cover off. I was having a problem with overheating but when I saw the coolant splatter, I checked the radiator level and it was low. I topped it off and overheating problem went away. I ask this question because, in my search, I have been told that some vehicles (Toyota in particular) can weep a bit from the water pump weep hole and that it is normal. I have replaced the coolant reservoir about 2.5 years ago and it still appears intact and no other leaks are found. All of the hoses seem in good shape also. Thanks

Bj

Disco4meplz

Reaction score
I would rent a cooling system pressure tester and pump the system up to the spec. it should hold pressure for 30 minutes and not drop. If it looses pressure you will be able to find it since the vehicle is not running.

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
Thanks Eike,
Where would they rent one? Autozone, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys? I have driven it for the last two days, on the freeway in Phoenix, for about 30 minutes or so each time and it seems to be holding pressure and fluid.

Bj

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't gain anything by pressure testing the system till you replace the water pump, which you should ASAP before you toast the engine. Once that has been done, bleed the system and keep an eye on the coolant level over the next week or so to make sure there are no other issues.

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
There is no evidence that the pump is faulty or leaking. I was posing a question and Eike had a good suggestion, for the trouble shooting process. I personally like troubleshooting as it lends to the learning process. While I am slowly trying to replace wear items, bad or not and as I have the cash, if I replaced everything that gets recommended on this forum, I would have wasted many dollars. Thanks.

Bj

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pumps inner seal is failing, you are setting your truck up for a over heat and possible head gaskets if you do not replace the pump ASAP.

Disco4meplz

Reaction score
Any big parts chain will rent them out for a small deposit. Mike is probably right that your pump is on it's way out but the coolant may be running from somewhere else also.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, he has a coolant leak and seems to be unwilling to realize he drives a Rover and any coolant leak can cause an overheat, head gaskets and or dropped sleeves.
An yes, I am right, a weeping water pump is a failing water pump.

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
@Disco Mike…et al,
While I appreciate yours and everyone else's advice and opinions, please do not ever presume to know what I or others are willing to do or what our realizations are. Other than this forum, I do not know you or what your level of knowledge is, nor you, mine. Therefore, please tender your advice, experience and knowledge with a bit of humility as it comes off rather patronizing.
Regarding this issue, I did not say that my water pump was leaking. There was a bit of reactionary assumption, apparently from my question and I apologize that I did not make myself clearer. Again, I personally value your insight and hope to read much more. As always, thanks

Bj

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, just to stop my wasting any more time with you, a weeping water pump is a failing water pump, the weep hole is there to vent leaking coolant from the inner seal. If you don't want to take our word for this, then why the "HELL" did you even post a question in the first place. Granted my near 30 years as a service manager should give you some idea I might know what I am talking about but hey, you know better.
Do not post back here in the near future, crying about how you have overheated your engine and need to pump a few thousand dollars into it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635